RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cleaning scale from inside water tank.

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 ·
I have an aluminum water tank that from time to time builds up a white scale inside. It comes out in pieces thru the spigot or sometimes clogs the outlet at the bottom of the tank.

Is there a product that will disolve it and is:
Safe for dogs after multiple rinsings
Safe for use with aluminum.

Thanks

#2 ·
You could try a couple of things: cider vinegar, diluted w/ equal parts water if it's not too bad, more vinegar than water if it's bad, soaking with solution for a a couple of hours to a couple of days and a little elbow grease, depending on the scale, should work well. You could use a cleaner used for coffee makers, but you may need a quantity depending on the size of your tank. Lemon juice might work too. All safe for dogs.

#7 ·
I had someone else recommend using CLR, but my concern was how log it took to flush out of my water tank for the dogs to drink. Any issues or suggestions?

#10 ·
I think cider vinegar would work as well but most recommend white vinegar for scale. I think it's cheaper and not as smelly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.