The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lost Lab Help!

Default Lost Lab Help!

A Black Lab (not sure of sex) showed up at the little country store by my house. (In Ville Platte LA in case someone on here is from the area and has a dog that is missing) The store owner is caring for the dog for now but i'm not sure how long he will be able to do so. Does anyone know of a Lab rescue or some other organization that might be able to help by taking the dog in? Thanks in advance!! Breaks my heart to see any stray / lost dog!!!
    nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he is owned by a dog - Gene Hill

Look at www.craigslist.com under the city or nearest to where he was found. Check under Lost/found as well as pets. A vet or humane society can scan her/him for a microchip and of course contact the humane society/animal control in that area. Posting flyers work well , and posting a classified ad in the local paper ad.
    Good luck, I hope the owner turns up.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 12-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Take the dog to your place for the time being. Absolutely don't let it end up in a shelter. Good luck and good for you on trying to find the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    Absolutely don't let it end up in a shelter.
    ...nice idea except that if there is a local shelter and the owner is looking for their dog - the first place they should look is the shelter. So at the very least the shelter should be notified. Shelters vary a great deal - some are excellent and some are still quite awful. Notify local sheriff or police too. And yes, would be good to get dog scanned for a chip. Most newspapers will take 'found' notices for free. Thanks for helping!

A shelter is the first place I look, most have Facebook pages you can place a picture and found ad for free.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )