The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retriever Training HELP!!!!!

Default Retriever Training HELP!!!!!

I recently got a black lab. Shes now 12 weeks old and has a lot to work on. Ive watched a couple of videos and Ive used that as something to go by. But, the dogs on the video learn in about a day. So, its really no help. Ill throw a bumper and she will run out grab the bumper, turn, and run away from me. I have tried using a checkcord but she lays down and I end up dragging her across the yard. I am trying to build her want to retrieve up to be an all time high. So, that leaves me with lots of questions. Is she too young? Do I need to do obedience training first instead? What should I do? I need all the help I can get so if you have some advice for me PLEASE share.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodducks View Post
    I recently got a black lab. Shes now 12 weeks old and has a lot to work on. Ive watched a couple of videos and Ive used that as something to go by. But, the dogs on the video learn in about a day. So, its really no help. Ill throw a bumper and she will run out grab the bumper, turn, and run away from me. I have tried using a checkcord but she lays down and I end up dragging her across the yard. I am trying to build her want to retrieve up to be an all time high. So, that leaves me with lots of questions. Is she too young? Do I need to do obedience training first instead? What should I do? I need all the help I can get so if you have some advice for me PLEASE share.
    Thanks
    Welcome to RTF. There is a wealth of information here. Start by learning to use the search function. These questions have all been asked before.
    Let your puppy be a puppy. Don't expect to much. Play, have fun. There are very good resources available.
    Here is one place to start. http://www.gundogsupply.com/soberetrdvdw.html

Good luck, have fun. JD

You'll get other replies
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Do you have that video?

I understand not to expect much and i understand shes still a puppy but i dont want to create a bad habit for her

Welcome to RTF! There are at least a few members that live in your area. Hopefully some will see this thread, if not maybe repost and mention where you are in the title. The best help you will get is going to be to fund someone near you that will train with you. Good luck with your new pup
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Welcome to RTF. 12 weeks old she os just a baby. In the videos they show you learning in about a day. That may not be the case. The point of the video is to show you how too and the end result. They don't for sure say it takes x amount of time. Start in the house if you can. Say down a hallway or somehwere she can only come back to you. 6 8 10 feet where ever you can get her to come back, doesn't have to be far. Second she will have a number. That number is how many times she will do it without stopping. If her number is say 4 then you only do 2 or 3. This way you stop her when she is wanting more. Aslo if it takes a treat now and then that's OK. Just don't over due the treats. On the running away thing. She want you to chase her (don't do it) instead you run the other way while calling her. Let her chase you. Then let her catch you. Puppies like kids have a very short attention span. Do thing for very short periods of time then move on. Hope this helps and let me know how she is doing.

Dale

Thanks
    Your puppy sounds quite normal, and adorable. Great news, she loves to retrieve!

I bought Hillman's training a retriever puppy DVD when I was in your shoes about 2 years ago, I recommend it. I didn't understand everything going on but somehow I managed to teach my pup all kinds of important puppy stuff like coming when called and sitting steady.
    Renee P

Thanks, Ive tried in the hall. She does good. How should I know when to take it outside?

Do you have that video?
    You need that video right now for sure. Go online and purchase it tonight, then do everything it tells you to.

Are you in Alabama?
    How much free time do you have?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

yes, im in alabama and not much i have to go to school everyday