The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How to keep a pup excited

Default How to keep a pup excited

Ive been working with my pup as much as i can but its not every day due to school and work. He has basic obedience down and ive been wanting to move on to something new. I still throw him retrieves with the bumpers every night. But tonight he did the first couple retrieves like normal, but then after those, he didnt go pick them up. Ive always heard that you can bore the dog and i was thinking i might be doing that. Is there anything else i could do to help keep it fun?

live birds are good
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

How old is your pup? I always like to stop with the pup desiring "just one more".
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

He might be teething, and his mouth hurts. You could try throwing him something smaller and softer, like mini paint rollers, instead of bumpers.

If you don't think it is teething, you may be doing too much obedience with him. You want to develop prey drive, and you want a well mannered pup, the trick is finding the balance between the two. Too much of one and you don't have enough of the other...
    Last edited by mitty; 12-06-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Renee P

All very good advice so far.

If none of those work you might try doing just the "opposite" of what these folks are doing.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...-breathing-dog
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by clytnbkr23 View Post
    Ive been working with my pup as much as i can but its not every day due to school and work. He has basic obedience down and ive been wanting to move on to something new. I still throw him retrieves with the bumpers every night. But tonight he did the first couple retrieves like normal, but then after those, he didnt go pick them up. Ive always heard that you can bore the dog and i was thinking i might be doing that. Is there anything else i could do to help keep it fun?
    Are you sure he is not alerting you to needing a bathroom break? Keep in mind mine is still young (5 months) and he started doing that once in a while in the house after half dozen or so tosses down the hallway. He would drop the bumper and start sniffing around seeming uniterested in the bumper. I immediately take him out, and as soon as he is done with his business I bring him back in for a few more tosses down the hall. He resumes the retrieves just as enthusiastic as before he stopped. I limit this to just a couple tosses after the potty break to keep his interest up for next time.

Good luck...

How old?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"