RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

HELP: Competitor to Under Armour Coldgear?

8K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  kjrice 
#1 ·
Hey Friends,

My wife asked for some Under Armour Coldgear for Christmas. Then I started shopping and saw the prices. I told her and she rebuffed too.

I assume some of the high price is for the name.

Is there anything out there as a less expensive competitor to Under Armour Coldgear?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Yes...either the Colombia titanium line or if you have a Champion outlet store nearby...their moisture wicking shirts are identical to UnderArmour at a fraction of the price....the Starter brand you find at Wal Mart will work but their sizes have a tendency to run small and they dont last as long

Cabelas Wicks line is also excellent

#6 ·
Hycreek (mail order) out of the UP of MI makes some GREAT layering systems that are affordable and work exceptionally well.
I have UA and prefer Hycreek.
You would need their printed catalogue, on line store is weak.

Customer svc is excellent.

#8 ·
Hey Friends,

My wife asked for some Under Armour Coldgear for Christmas. Then I started shopping and saw the prices. I told her and she rebuffed too.

I assume some of the high price is for the name.

Is there anything out there as a less expensive competitor to Under Armour Coldgear?

Thanks in advance.
Call the outlet store in Kenosha and see if they have any, and in her size. I can always swing by there for you. It's on my regular route.

#9 · (Edited)
If you find an alternative please let me know, I've froze my buttox of for years because I was to cheap to invest in good quality stuff. Most women's stuff is inferior, you always have to pay more for less, often times they don't even have the real top protection options. Guys stuff which you can get way more for significantly less, doesn't fit, when it doesn't fit it doesn't work correctly, so don't try. I eventually broke down and bought the cold-gear it's lasted 3 seasons and still looks new, good for cold and hot weather. I shop the bargain cave for it. I'm still looking for cheaper alternatives, but I refuse to freeze anymore, I'm told I get grumpy and mean when I freeze ;). Has Anyone tried She-Safari Catz-skin? I bought their C-4 pants last year, they are almost too hot (something I'd never think I'd say), haven't tried their under-layer yet, but if it's as warm as the other stuff. They often have sales.

#11 · (Edited)
Get on SierraTradingPost, Campmor, Altrec, Backcountry, or REI and look for sales. Lots of brands and pricing is far more competitive. Terramar is on Sierra frequently at good prices. Sierra also has a brand they sell called Wickers. We've bought it for the kids and it's pretty good. REI's house brand is good too.

I'm not a UA fan. I've been wearing lots of other brands that did this long before UA existed. Patagonia blazed this trail forever ago (and yes, it is pricey, but works and lasts). I'm sure UA works, but plenty of others do too. UA didn't invent the stuff, they just market it well.

#12 ·
Prices aside, UA heatgear works well for its intended uses but cold gear pretty much sucks compared to other base layer stuff. If you are moving around you probably won't notice but sitting still it just isn't as warm as a lot of other materials out there. If you can find a source of Merino wool within your price range that's the ticket but if not I second the Cabelas suggestion. Also remember that most base layers(including Merino) come in different "weights" and you'll want the heavier for more warmth.

#22 ·
Prices aside, UA heatgear works well for its intended uses but cold gear pretty much sucks compared to other base layer stuff. If you are moving around you probably won't notice but sitting still it just isn't as warm as a lot of other materials out there. If you can find a source of Merino wool within your price range that's the ticket but if not I second the Cabelas suggestion. Also remember that most base layers(including Merino) come in different "weights" and you'll want the heavier for more warmth.
You can wear a thin merino wool base with a heavier over and create a micro-climate. I really prefer it to any synthetic and it doesn't stink-up like them.

#13 ·
Obviously you want to find something that *works* well, but if you buy her gear from Walmart for Christmas, you're likely to be in the doghouse. JMHO, LOL.

#14 ·
Personally I am a fan of UA. I have several items that are 10+ yrs old that I got in high school that are still in great shape and work awesome. Check local UA outlets, store clearance (bargain cave bargain blind etc), but also check out there online outlet clearance page.

#18 ·
Being from ND, we get a good dose of cold every winter.
As I write this, I have a under armour thermal shirt on.
I also have the cabela's line, it works just fine, but is the
bulky feeling, that I do not like.
Under Armour, in my opinion, is spendy, but warm and
comfortable. Seems to last for ever, really like the under armour.
Russ
-9 degrees yesterday AM, and 8 degrees, this AM

#21 ·
UA is by far superior IMO. Buy one set that will last a long long time or buy a set that lasts a couple of years. My UA has been worn 20 plus days a year and i have had it for at least 6 years and still looks like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.