The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Competitor to Under Armour Coldgear?

Get on SierraTradingPost, Campmor, Altrec, Backcountry, or REI and look for sales. Lots of brands and pricing is far more competitive. Terramar is on Sierra frequently at good prices. Sierra also has a brand they sell called Wickers. We've bought it for the kids and it's pretty good. REI's house brand is good too.

I'm not a UA fan. I've been wearing lots of other brands that did this long before UA existed. Patagonia blazed this trail forever ago (and yes, it is pricey, but works and lasts). I'm sure UA works, but plenty of others do too. UA didn't invent the stuff, they just market it well.
    Last edited by Robert C; 12-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Prices aside, UA heatgear works well for its intended uses but cold gear pretty much sucks compared to other base layer stuff. If you are moving around you probably won't notice but sitting still it just isn't as warm as a lot of other materials out there. If you can find a source of Merino wool within your price range that's the ticket but if not I second the Cabelas suggestion. Also remember that most base layers(including Merino) come in different "weights" and you'll want the heavier for more warmth.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Obviously you want to find something that *works* well, but if you buy her gear from Walmart for Christmas, you're likely to be in the doghouse. JMHO, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Personally I am a fan of UA. I have several items that are 10+ yrs old that I got in high school that are still in great shape and work awesome. Check local UA outlets, store clearance (bargain cave bargain blind etc), but also check out there online outlet clearance page.
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"

If you are interested in merino wool, the SmartWool products, available at REI, are excellent. I just bought a pair of tights and some tops; they fit well and are very comfortable. Of course their socks are the best, and do not have the annoying seam at the toes that can rub and irritate.
    Shirley Christian
    Fort Collins, CO
    shirley.christian79@gmail.com

I agree with others, I used to think UA was just a bunch of hype. I've been using their underwear and undershirts for over 6 years now, same pairs, awesome stuff and unbelievably well made. I run 5 miles 4 days a week in it too, in addition to backcountry bowhunts etc. Its worth the price IMO.

I'm another one that caught some UA coldgear pants & shirts on sale. The stuff is flat out awesome as a base layer. I haven't tried any of the others that's like it, but I would definitely be willing to try it before paying full price for Under Armor.

Being from ND, we get a good dose of cold every winter.
    As I write this, I have a under armour thermal shirt on.
    I also have the cabela's line, it works just fine, but is the
    bulky feeling, that I do not like.
    Under Armour, in my opinion, is spendy, but warm and
    comfortable. Seems to last for ever, really like the under armour.
    Russ
    -9 degrees yesterday AM, and 8 degrees, this AM

Kevin,
    Gander Mountain has some great stuff that looks and performs very much like UA, is generally less expensive and they always put last years stuff on the clearance rack.

Patagonia......get what ya pay for.I like UA too.....its cheaper than Patagonia.