RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Obedience

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  hoosierharvester 
#1 ·
I have a young puppy and Ive gotten lots of advice on how to train her. Some say to begin formal/obedience training at this time/ some say just try and build up her retrieving. Which do you guys think?

#2 ·
I used Hillman at about 11 weeks! Click on his add at top let of the page and order and follow! Lots of RTfers used and like a lot! Good luck with your pup!

#3 ·
I just saw you got this advise from another thread you started. did you not get enough info........just curious, same question with different words? you received some good advice from that thread!!!!

#6 ·
Welcome young Buck! I would ask Santa for "Bill Hillman Training the Retriever Puppy" It will help you in your quest! Good luck with your pup and please keep us posted with your progress and let RTF know any questions you have. I haven't been in this game as long as many hear but please feel free to PM me for questions you may have and if I don't have answers I could lead you in the right direction!

Chris

#5 ·
Balance is the answer.

I would also be asking for some training material for Christmas. However, from looking at past posts, I'm going to venture out and say the OP doesn't have a lot of experience with dogs (sorry if I'm wrong but there's certainly nothing wrong with little experience). For that reason, I would say Hillmann may not be the best option. He doesn't go into basic puppy rearing and teaching puppy obedience. It is more puppy retrieving only. I would certainly recommend getting Hillmann but in addition to another more basic puppy book or DVD.

I haven't seen Mertens. Is it more along the lines of an all around puppy program (kenneling, sitting, puppy marks, etc.)?
Anyway, here's the link to Jackie Mertens: http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php?p...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66

And in the meantime here's another excellent free resource from Pat Nolan.
http://www.trainingretrieverpuppies.com/

#8 ·
Hi Woodducks and congrats on your new pup! You would do well to get a good 'program' to follow as has been suggested. There are also some good books available on puppy-rearing and basic OB - you might check your local library. In the meantime, you can begin some basic OB - I use at least some food treats to start (works very well for sit and here) - and make learning FUN. Start some basic leash work but don't worry about heeling just yet. Also keep retrieving fun and not too many in a row. And, long walks (in a safe place away from roads) off-leash where pup can explore and be curious are great for pup (and you) at this age. Good luck w/ the pup!

#9 ·
1) Get the Hillman dvd, dont rush. I took several days on some aspects of it, it will pay off in the long run.
2) As stated...BALANCE. Keep it fun, 2 or 3 10-15min sessions is much better than overloading your pup.
3) Put the pup away every time begging for more.
4) Be CONSISTANT.
5) Repition is the mother of all learning.
6)Most important if your getting frustrated put the pup away. Dont let a 20lb dog embarass you.

And HAVE FUN.

#11 · (Edited)
When you said you were in school I imagined it was High School. Good for you wanting to learn how to train your puppy. One important thing is now that you actually have a baby puppy you will need to learn a bunch of stuff rather quickly. Here’s some info to get you there. The info from these sources should be followed vs things you think you know.
Get the Bill Hillman Puppy Videos in addition to the Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings video. Bill and Mary Hillman have a bunch of YouTube videos and a blog I think that you will find useful. Here is one of Bill’s videos you find the rest and watch all of them. They also have a site somewhere with on going discussions I think. email him with questions.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl6E2guzyCM
https://www.youtube.com/user/hawkeyemedianet/videos

Pat Noland in Maryland has a nice web site and a number of videos showing good things to do with puppies. Go to http://ponderosakennels.com/dog-training-article-directory search around his site for info and watch his YouTube videos about what to do with puppies.

In the beginning you will teach obedience using treats and repetition. When puppy is around 4-5 months old you will formalize obedience and begin the real training right after puppy loses his puppy teeth and adult ones grow in. Don’t shoot any guns near or around puppy.
Here's a little outline of things you can do with your puppy starting yesterday.

Puppy Basics
Ø Lavish lots of attention on new pup as soon has he arrives
Ø Put nylon collar on new pup
When used to collar add 6’ lead. Let pup run around unrestrained to get used to lead. Then add leash.
Limit walks to 5 minutes at first

Ø Expose pup to many environments and situations that are safe.
Go on walks alone, carry pup into fields.
Maintain eye contact.
Always air pup before any training. When airing, Stop, Look and Wait. Give praise
Observe pups gait, ear and tail positions. Helps you to recognize pups attitude.
In field keep pups attention. Move off and call when he seems occupied.
Keep pup away from unknown dogs and places until 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot series.
Introduce to Parks, Gravel, Concrete, Puddles, and Vegetation etc.
Introduce to Steps, Tunnels, Barriers, Elevated surfaces (et Table),
Toys of different Size, Weight, Texture and Noise.

Ø Play
Focus play sessions with you as center of attention
Socialize play with other dogs.
· Learns how to behave around other canines
· Use caution around older dogs
Observe pups mannerisms
· Dominant or submissive
· Intensity
· Attention span
·
õ 7-16 Weeks
Ø Begin basic obedience training with treats 3-4 days after pup arrives home.
Commands: Here, Sit, Heel, Down, No Bite, No Noise, OK.
Use Puparoni or soft treats, cheese or hotdog bits not biscuits which require too much attention from pup.
Dog eventually will be under your control at all times with these commands.
Watch and follow Jackie Mertens puppy video.
Teach Fast pup slow, slow pup fast
1 or 2 commands at a time
5-6 minutes each session
Several times a day for 6-7 days
Ø Puppy Bumpers
Introduce right away in quiet indoors area, use hallway so pup must return to you.
· Tease with bumper, slow toss maybe 5-6 feet. Limit to 3-4 throws max.
¨ Lengthen when doing well
¨ Send over jumps and under table etc
· Use Soft Bumpers or cloth dummies
· Later use small 2’x 9”white plastic knobby bumpers
Ø If retrieving well at 9 weeks introduce pup to birds
Start with pigeon or even bird wings
Do not allow pup to play with birds or to pluck feathers
Switch to ducks when pup is big enough to pick them up
Discontinue birds with pup if problems persist like eating birds etc
Ø Here (Pup needs to be solid on Here)
See-Saw Drill.
· Alternate calling pup back and forth between you and a friend. “Here” Start about 6’ apart and then move back. Restrain pup gently on the chest and release when he is called.
· Later, with a treat, lead pup into a heel/sit position when he comes to you.
Ø Sit (Sit also means Stay)
Teach Sit for several days in quiet place with no leash
Be on knees
Raise hand with treat slightly above and behind pups head and pup will sit
Say sit after pup sits
Have pup sit for his meal, release him to eat after brief sit
Ø Front Sit
Teach square front sit, pup will be facing you.
Attentive posture, looking up at you
Show where legs go if necessary, rear feet should be under butt.
Gently step on foot and he will tuck it under

Ø L & R Heel
Lead pup back with treat as you step back slightly, step forward and lead pup forward with treat. Mix in sit.
Ø No
Teach word “No” for hard biting, chewing, or barking
Ø Release Command (Go On, OK) etc. Free to air or play
Pup needs a release command to come off of a sit or heel
Ø No Noise
If noisy in crate, smack crate and command No Noise
Squeeze muzzle and command No Noise
Ø Down
Teach down, no jumping up
Do not pet pup when he jumps up. Sit him and then praise & pet him
Ø Settle
Teach pup to settle down and be calm when being handled or having nails clipped
Get pup comfortable with being handled. Touch his feet, ears, mouth etc while in down position
Ø Stand
Teach stand up from sit or down position
Ø Jumping Obstacles
Indoors, over your outstretch leg. Low at first than higher “Over”
Outdoors walk with pup over various obstacles

Ø Kennel
Teach “kennel” command to get pup into crate, car, dog truck etc.

Ø Introduce Water
Shallow, warm water at first. >65 degrees.
Do not force pup into water, let him check it out first
Don’t use leash or cord
Get in water yourself if necessary
Let pup go in water for a short retrieve, meet pup at waters edge when he comes back
Ø Retrieving Introduction
Strive to be 90% successful
Use long check cord if necessary 30’
Retrieves should be done on field with short grass so pup can easily see bumper.
1[SUP]st[/SUP] throws are thrown by a helper in towards angled handler and about 20-30 yards away, later throws are angled away from handler and not in.
Restrain pup briefly, make sure his eyes are on the throw, and then release pup after throw hits the ground. This is not the time to Steady your pup
· If pup goes to thrower, thrower should run to mark with pup
· Thrower should re throw if necessary to get pup to area of fall
Ø Introduction to Fetch/Give or Drop (No pressure)
Teach Fetch and Give from hand
· Start with pup between legs at first
· Have him fetch bumper from your hand, pet him and take bumper back, ask him to fetch again
· Fetch / Give / Fetch / Give etc.
· No pressure at this time
Ø Introduce Doubles Retrieves
When 100% successful with singles
Should be started several days after successful singles with a good pup
Have throws separated by barrier to prevent switching
· Fence with gate for example or down 2 sides of house etc.
· Throws should be 180% apart at first, tighter angles later
· First teach memory mark as a single
· Then throw as a double
· Setup double so pup must come back by you with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] bumper
· When successful setup throws closer together with no barrier
· Do not push dogs face to mark
Ø Introduce Water Marks (over 65 degree water temp)
Avoid cheating situations
Start at waters edge
Straight entries
Bumper in center of pond no land closer than you
Send through cover at edge of pond
Ø Continue Obedience training
At about 4 months or so it’s time to put a Pinch Collar on pup to continue with more formal obedience. Use collar corrections to enforce commands, Here, Heel & Sit.
Avoid using a “Choke Collar”. You can damage your dogs’ throat. Use a pinch collar.
Go on short walk every day and drill on Sit, Here & Heel. Dog should be really solid on “Here”.

#15 ·
You've pretty much got everything you need right here. Now all you need to do is find yourself a great training group and enjoy the ride! Once bitten it's hard to step back. Welcome!

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
I know it's been said but remember...VERY SHORT SESSIONS (2-3 minutes at first and not over 5 minutes) and KEEP IT FUN for the pup. If he does something wrong, no big deal, act like it never happened but if he does something right, make a really big deal out of and TREATS.

Puppies' main goal in life is to EAT. So a treats (little pieces of hotdog are good) are going to be their biggest reward and what they are going to work hard to get.

#14 ·
Congrats Woodducks on your new puppy....... There has been LOTS of good advice here that will help you .......

If this is your first puppy... I'd also suggest you going to a "Puppy Class" at a local Obedience school...... If you are ANYTHING like me.... reading or watching a video can be somewhat hard to follow... I need a lot of HANDS on help...... Go to someone with experience...... Someone to help get some good manners started and then you can get started with your "Field" work as well..... It will also help the puppy with becoming "social with other dogs...... Obedience and Good manners are the foundation for ALL work/training you want to do..... You can start an Obedience/Puppy class as early as 7-8 weeks... depending on where you go.....

Good Luck with your puppy......

#16 ·
Can I give you some sound words of advice? I was once in your shoes when I was 14 (assuming your a young man in high school) I pleaded with my father to let me have a retriever pup I insisted that I could train him and my father didnt think it was possible. So when he finally gave in and let me have my puppy I was so excited to prove him wrong and start teaching my dog. I got my hands on every piece of material I could get my hands on and started on my way. Needless to say I made many mistakes in trainning that dog. I was so gung ho that I would just try to rush her through everything as fast as I could many times without me are the poor dog really understanding.

The whole point of this story is this. Your puppy is just that a puppy. Pick out a good program follow it and TAKE YOUR TIME. You are going to have years with him/her there is no rush. I wish I would of had web sites like the Rtf when I was first getting into retrievers. There are some very accomplished people on this board who know more than most of us combined. Take there advice. I am not a pro by any means but I do remember how excited I was when I got my first puppy an how in many ways that excitment got the best of me.

#17 ·
no matter who u use to get info from ,, follow a program. follow a program , follow a program... theres alot of good ones out there.. i personally use fowl dawgs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.