The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience

Default Obedience

I have a young puppy and Ive gotten lots of advice on how to train her. Some say to begin formal/obedience training at this time/ some say just try and build up her retrieving. Which do you guys think?

I used Hillman at about 11 weeks! Click on his add at top let of the page and order and follow! Lots of RTfers used and like a lot! Good luck with your pup!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

I just saw you got this advise from another thread you started. did you not get enough info........just curious, same question with different words? you received some good advice from that thread!!!!

oh no im just trying to find out what all i need to do. Im only 14 so i just wanted to know as much about it as possible. sorry.

Balance is the answer.

I would also be asking for some training material for Christmas. However, from looking at past posts, I'm going to venture out and say the OP doesn't have a lot of experience with dogs (sorry if I'm wrong but there's certainly nothing wrong with little experience). For that reason, I would say Hillmann may not be the best option. He doesn't go into basic puppy rearing and teaching puppy obedience. It is more puppy retrieving only. I would certainly recommend getting Hillmann but in addition to another more basic puppy book or DVD.

I haven't seen Mertens. Is it more along the lines of an all around puppy program (kenneling, sitting, puppy marks, etc.)?
    Anyway, here's the link to Jackie Mertens: http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=66

And in the meantime here's another excellent free resource from Pat Nolan.
    http://www.trainingretrieverpuppies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by woodducks View Post
    oh no im just trying to find out what all i need to do. Im only 14 so i just wanted to know as much about it as possible. sorry.
    Welcome young Buck! I would ask Santa for "Bill Hillman Training the Retriever Puppy" It will help you in your quest! Good luck with your pup and please keep us posted with your progress and let RTF know any questions you have. I haven't been in this game as long as many hear but please feel free to PM me for questions you may have and if I don't have answers I could lead you in the right direction!

Chris

Thanks man!! thats really helpful thats what ive been looking for!

Hi Woodducks and congrats on your new pup! You would do well to get a good 'program' to follow as has been suggested. There are also some good books available on puppy-rearing and basic OB - you might check your local library. In the meantime, you can begin some basic OB - I use at least some food treats to start (works very well for sit and here) - and make learning FUN. Start some basic leash work but don't worry about heeling just yet. Also keep retrieving fun and not too many in a row. And, long walks (in a safe place away from roads) off-leash where pup can explore and be curious are great for pup (and you) at this age. Good luck w/ the pup!

1) Get the Hillman dvd, dont rush. I took several days on some aspects of it, it will pay off in the long run.
    2) As stated...BALANCE. Keep it fun, 2 or 3 10-15min sessions is much better than overloading your pup.
    3) Put the pup away every time begging for more.
    4) Be CONSISTANT.
    5) Repition is the mother of all learning.
    6)Most important if your getting frustrated put the pup away. Dont let a 20lb dog embarass you.

And HAVE FUN.

Welcome woodducks! Congratulations on your puppy.

My advice:
    First off, let your puppy be a puppy. The obedience you do should probably be pretty light. Not too long on the lessons and using food as a lure at first is good. You might want to hold off on a choker collar for a while if the puppy is young. Ask your vet about this. Also learn not to yell at your pup when he grabs your underwear or shoes and runs around the house. He has to know that it is not bad to carry things in his mouth. When he is older you may want to change this. I never yell at this behavior although others may have a different opinion. The Hillman DVD is certainly a good starting place. Just don't expect your puppy to progress at the same rate as the one in the DVD. The one big mistake that I see is when a dog is pushed too fast. And I know it is fun to watch but stop retrieves while your puppy still wants one more.

Good luck!
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."