The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose hunting - dog blinds

Default Goose hunting - dog blinds

Since our hunting season is winding down, I've started thinking about new gear for next year. After "several" flocks of geese flaring, I think I need to add a dog blind to the setup.

Wondering what dog blind most of you folks are using? What dimensions fit best for a 75lb Lab?Durability? Easiest Setup? Etc?

Greenhead gear ultra-low dog blind. Watch Cabelas bargain cave this spring and you may find one for a deal

I second the ghg mutt hut. I didn't buy the low profile one, but the normal size is only 2" taller than the low profile. My 85lb dog fits in it, his tail hangs out the back, and nose out the front but I've never had trouble with birds flaring.. Also they are easily set-up and collapsed. I've had mine for 3 years, definitely showing wear, but it gets used year round with training and hunting, and might have flown out of the back of my truck one time at 70..
    Last edited by simcoe mtn; 12-07-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Sean Bryan

My 70 pounder lays behind my headrest inside my layout blind. Her head usually lays on my left shoulder. This eliminates the need for another blind to brush up and keeps me a little warmer when it's cold out.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Just my own opinion, but if you dog is sitting quietly and not moving, I would look somewhere else for the reason geese are flaring your setup. I have decoyed TONS of geese right into decoy spreads over the years with a dog sitting in plain sight. I do not think a dog scares a goose at all. Many of my set ups have been in wheat or barley fields (yellow stubble) or over snow cover with a black dog, so I know that a goose or duck should be able to see the dog clearly and they still do not hesitate to come in as long as the dog sits, and more importantly the people hunting are well hidden and do not move. My opinion again is that a dog blind is a waste of money, more gear to haul and can hinder the ability of the dog to mark.

Couldn't agree more with wetdog. Unless your dog is doing a lot of moving around, I'd put money on the fact that something else is probably flaring your birds. I guide for geese, and most of the time when I notice they're flaring, it's usually a human culprit on the other end of the pit who's to blame. We've shot many a goose with a dog laying in plain sight next to the pit. When I hunt out of a lay-out blind, mine goes in with me too, but like Rob Paye said...its for MY warmth!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by simcoe mtn View Post
    I second the ghg mutt hut. I didn't buy the low profile one, but the normal size is only 2" taller than the low profile. My 85lb dog fits in it, his tail hangs out the back, and nose out the front but I've never had trouble with birds flaring.. Also they are easily set-up and collapsed. I've had mine for 3 years, definitely showing wear, but it gets used year round with training and hunting, and might have flown out of the back of my truck one time at 70..
    Same story here to a T ,has been a very good blind.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

GHG Ultra Low.

I like a Mud-hutt as well but for ducks, like others have said we've had black dogs lay out in the middle of a goose decoy spread, and never flare birds, in fact sometimes the slight movement encourages them to come in.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I own a GHG Low Profile, Avery Finisher, FA Mutt Hut (the orginial one, this is the one that Avery based their GHG low profile on, but only has a front door), FA Mutt Hut 2.
    None of these compare to the Rig Em Right Bully Dog.