The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cryptorchid- when to neuter?

A year to 18 months, the same as with any other dog that is unfit for breeding. Cryptorchidism very likely has a genetic component and yes, dogs with one undescended testicle usually only suffer a slight drop in fertility. As to fishing for the testicle- if it's not descended now, it's not going to and the plan to neuter is a good one.
    Lauren Burke
    ---------------------------------------
    "Sometimes you eats the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." Daniel Boone, Davie Crockett, or a stranger at the bar?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schmemdog View Post
    A year to 18 months, the same as with any other dog that is unfit for breeding. Cryptorchidism very likely has a genetic component and yes, dogs with one undescended testicle usually only suffer a slight drop in fertility. As to fishing for the testicle- if it's not descended now, it's not going to and the plan to neuter is a good one.
    Untrue. They can and do drop later.
    WRL

This pup is not being bred regardless so fertility is not a consideration. But based on what many have said here and on another forum, it seems like they DO tend to drop later, more often than I knew about anyway, and especially when both testicles are known to have been descended at some point like with this pup.

Anyway, the owners have decided to wait until later to neuter as planned - thanks everyone who posted and helped put my mind (and theirs) at ease!
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Untrue. They can and do drop later.
    WRL
    Yes, they CAN, but it is extremely unlikely. Most vets will pronounce a dog a true cryptorchid at 8 weeks, with the outer limit being 16 weeks. According to Johnston et al., partial closure of the inguinal ring at 6 months precludes the possibility of a retained testicle from dropping past that age.

Glad the owners made an informed decision, this is a great forum
    Lauren Burke
    ---------------------------------------
    "Sometimes you eats the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." Daniel Boone, Davie Crockett, or a stranger at the bar?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schmemdog View Post
    Yes, they CAN, but it is extremely unlikely. Most vets will pronounce a dog a true cryptorchid at 8 weeks, with the outer limit being 16 weeks. According to Johnston et al., partial closure of the inguinal ring at 6 months precludes the possibility of a retained testicle from dropping past that age.

Glad the owners made an informed decision, this is a great forum
    Well I have had 3 of 4 dogs with retained testicles drop their testicle from 10 to 12 months. I am not sure of which Johnston you are referring to but I believe the saying is "If the left testicle is down, then the right has a good chance of dropping. If the right is down, the left testicle will most likely not drop." I believe that both Dr Ed (on RTF) and Dr Hutchison have stated this (it might be vice versa, can't remember).

I would NEVER say it was UNLIKELY. I would give ANY dog a 50% chance of dropping a testicle until 12 months of age.

WRL

Banned

This is an old post by Janice Gunn....

"

In October I attended a Dr. Hutchinson seminar on reproduction.
    It was fantastic to say the least.

Here is some very interesting information that most people are not aware of.

*The testicles are in the scrotum at 5-6 wks old
    The left comes down first
    IF the right testie is there and not the left - then there is cause for concern.
    If the left is there, good chance the right will follow.
    If you have to neuter FIND OUT WHY the testie did not come down.
    If one cord is shorter than the other, then it is genetic - HOWEVER - the cord can be
    wrapped around the testie not allowing it to drop.
    If both cords are the same length, then it is not genetic.

Unfortunately when this happens, people just neuter the dog and decide that it is
    genetic.
    When in fact, it could possibly be fixed when they go into neuter!

So Connie determine which testie has dropped. If it is the left, then "chances" are the
    right will drop later. If the pup has to be neutered, then I would want a vet that can determine cord length, and if the testie was hung up before I decided to blame it on the
    bitch or more commonly the stud dog. "

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...utchinson+left

There is also a post on that thread from Dr Ed. Good info.

WRL
    Last edited by WRL; 12-08-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks for digging that up Lee!
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

FTCH AFTCH Odds was a producer of the two time high pont open and amateur dog in Canada. He had one testicle that descended and one that did not. At 9 years of age the undescended testicle presented problems and it was removed. He lived to 14 plus years and had a fine field trial career. If you have a quality animal don't be to hasty with the knife. For those of you that have not had terrific field trial dogs I understand where you may be coming from. Often it is the case that those who advocate neutering or spaying of someone's dog fall into one of two distnict categories; 1. you have little appreciation for the great dogs or 2. you really do see junk and recognize right away.
    Last edited by Ironwood; 12-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.