The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder 200

Default Thunder 200

Looking at purchasing one, is there any sound associated with firing it? I know it runs off a MAPP gas cyclinder.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Yes sound is very good! I was looking at these as well but came to the conclusion that a 5 shooter would be better.....if you needed an extra shot or 2 from the gun for a young dog. I figured bite the bullet and go with 5 shooter although you may be able to add 2 more bumpers to the 2 shooter but don't know the details.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

The 500, which I own, goes boom when it launches. My dog also hears the hiss from the gas before I fire it. So there are actually 2 noise cues, when the gas starts flowing and when you fire it. I assume the 200 works the same.
    Renee P

Thanks for the quick replies. How is the noise level? Shotgun equivalant?

It is close to shotgun equivalent. Not exactly, but close.

I would say it is somewhere in between a .209 primer and a shotgun popper, but much closer to the shotgun popper.

I just bought two 2-shooters and am going to use them tonight to get some exercise in for my dog. I will see if I can video it and I will post it on youtube, and send you the link via PM.

I will say that it all depends on how long you let it prime. When I was up onsite with ThunderEquipment to view them, and then pick them up, if you let it prime to short, the sound will not be as loud, but if you let it fully prime (about 3 seconds), it is very loud.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Videtto View Post
    Yes sound is very good! I was looking at these as well but came to the conclusion that a 5 shooter would be better.....if you needed an extra shot or 2 from the gun for a young dog. I figured bite the bullet and go with 5 shooter although you may be able to add 2 more bumpers to the 2 shooter but don't know the details.
    It depends on how many dogs you have whether you should get the 2 shooter or 5 shooter.

I started out with BB, with a 4 shooter, because I was told that is what I should get. I then added a second 4 shooter, and finally a 2 shooter. While having the extra shots are nice, I rarely ever used more than 2 shots per dog, so I ended up wanting two shooters. Had Thunder Equipment had 2 shooters 3 years ago, I most likely would have bought them.

However, when I saw they came out with them, I jumped on them immediately (after visiting them to understand how they work, since it was where I grew up).

If you have one dog, a 2 shooter will work just fine, and will allow you to buy 2 of them for the same cost as one 5-shooter. If you have 2 dogs, I would most likely look towards getting the 5 shooter(s), just because I never "always" want to have just one shot left for the second dog (no matter which one is run first).

The thing that I think is pretty cool about the 2 shooters is that if you later want to upgrade to a 5 shooter, you only have to send it back, pay the difference between the 2 shooter and 5 shooter, and they will upgrade it to the 5 shooter for you.

So in essence. If you only have one dog, get the 2 shooters. If later you add dogs, send it back, pay the upgrade fee, and turn it into 5 shooters.... win/win

Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    It is close to shotgun equivalent. Not exactly, but close.

I would say it is somewhere in between a .209 primer and a shotgun popper, but much closer to the shotgun popper.

I just bought two 2-shooters and am going to use them tonight to get some exercise in for my dog. I will see if I can video it and I will post it on youtube, and send you the link via PM.

I will say that it all depends on how long you let it prime. When I was up onsite with ThunderEquipment to view them, and then pick them up, if you let it prime to short, the sound will not be as loud, but if you let it fully prime (about 3 seconds), it is very loud.

Doug
    Thanks much Doug

I have a 5 and a 10 shooter. I love them, and I think you will love yours (whether a 2, 5, or whatever!)

The noise is about the same decible level as a .410 shotgun, but it doesn't have the "pop" of a shotgun.. more of a "boom" if that makes any sense. I use the TT remote system for mine, and it works great. Plan on waiting 2 weeks or so for Thunder to get it to ya. The noise definitely helps with marks, but would be too loud to train with in a public place (park, soccer field, etc.) without causing disturbance.

If you get the TT electronics, there are some other noises you can program. Mine just makes a very annoying "beeep" sound when you push the S button on the remote. This is useful if you have a head swinger or one that just isn't paying attention, since the "boom" can echo off water or trees and make it seem like it is coming from a different area.
    -Barton Ramsey

Great inputs, thanks. I just ordered the Thunder 200 and TT electronics. Sounds like I won't be sorry.

I tried to video it, but the video is blocking out the sound as background noise

You will not be sorry. Glad you ordered some.

If you ever make it to Richmond and want to train, let me know