The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interrogations ... thought provoking

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    and just because we do it does that make it ok, whereas when the enemy does it , that makes it reprehensible....what happens when someone dies as a result of interrogation techniques?
    Why would it be reprehensible when the enemy does it? In fact we train to be interrogated b/c we know that if captured that's likely to happen.

If someone dies as a result or in the process, oh well, Wars Hell! and I'd salute that person b/c he/she obviously held out and died with honor not giving up. Assuming of course the interrogators were not amateurs and there was no foul play. Either way dying as a POW is 2nd only to being rescued. Living is the ultimate pain.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    If it's one of them, then, well, just the fortunes of war, if one of us, clearly a war crime.
    Example?

///

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............Yet, it appears that only humans (perhaps some of the higher apes?) are capable of torture.

Sorry, Gerry, the devil made me do this. I know this is a serious thread but I've been forced to be serious too much lately !

TIC
    Cat with mouse it has caught ?
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Bon...great story about you dad.

Some form of torture as an interogration method on either side is wrong. Like someone already mentioned...it happens and will happen no matter what the law is. After 911, torture interogation was used very much and not kept secret...so it made us look as bad as our enemy in this regard. Modern day information makes it had to keep secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    We decided as a family that it would not paint anyone including my dad in a good light...My dad's use of certain terms to depict the enemy was not what you would call politically correct, in fact in many ways it was somewhat offensive, but changing the text would not have been fair to my father or his memory either....There was a book written by one of his Army superiors called "Colonel Ramsey's War", it was very complimentary to all,but cleaned up a lot for public consumption...but in my dad's memoirs some things are better off left dead and buried since they benefit no one any longer

the Movie "The Great Raid" (2005) is very accurate in that members of his unit were part of that raid...

There is a film project called "Forgotten Soldiers" the history of the US Army's Phillippine Scouts - narrated by Lou Diamond Philips, it has been shown in limited release but I have not seen it yet
    I've seen it on the Military Channel. Check the listing for any future airings. There was a lot of material on Ferdinand Marcos.

I have a book at home that I read along time ago, "Santo Thomas Story" about the Spanish university turned prison in Manila where American and Bristish civillians were imprisoned during WW2 and the liberation of Manila.

P S

Another awesome read is, "Sea Of Thunder". The biggest Naval battle fought in WW2 was in Leyte Gulf when the Japs tried to halt the American liberation.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post

Some form of torture as an interogration method on either side is wrong. Like someone already mentioned...it happens and will happen no matter what the law is. After 911, torture interogation was used very much and not kept secret...so it made us look as bad as our enemy in this regard. Modern day information makes it had to keep secrets.
    Sorry bon liked your story about were dad. But mr menmon does not care about americans

Banned

interrogation/torture have been part of war forever. It is a necessary evil to gain information about the activities of the enemy. I am sure it is not a pleasant experience, because it is not supposed to be. When in a fight/war, you win by whatever means are necessary to succeed. there is an old saying, "all's fair in love and war". I laugh when I hear someone say they lost a bar fight because the other guy cheated, it wasn't a fair fight. there's no such thing as a fair fight, as long as the fight is one on one. the only fair fights are the ones that occur in a ring or octagon where there are established rules with a referee to enforce them.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post

In the immortal words of the Duke: "Not hardly". It is perhaps possible that we have on some rare occasions used techniques that resulted in the deaths of captured combatants, (I say perhaps because I haven't read anything official to that effect) but I haven't read anything that comes even close to what our GI's endured at the hands of the Viet Cong and NVA (not to mention the Germans and Japanese).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Example?

///

Perhaps it was not worded explicitly enough. I went back and fixed that. See if that clarifies it for you.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Perhaps it was not worded explicitly enough. I went back and fixed that. See if that clarifies it for you.

Nah, I'd still like an example of what you're talking about.