The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: poison bird blinds

Quote Originally Posted by hodgster11 View Post
    I enjoy working on the blinds. The poison bird is something else.
    How did you go about working on them?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Ted thanks for the explanation of those blinds with the factors and hazards.
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 12-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Hey Russ, hope your winter is going well. Look at the bright side, in a week the days will be getting longer and in two weeks we'll have as much daylight as we have now.

I do not primary select so I can't offer any advice if that's what you are trying to do. But, I do train hard on secondary selection and I do lots of KRD's probably 40% of them poison bird. I'll also set up multiple blinds within a marking setup and interrupt the marks by picking up a blind or two (or three ) sometime in the sequence of the marks. Pick up a mark, do a blind, pick up a mark, do a blind, pick up a mark do another blind or any order I want to that day. I don't always pick it up in the same order with each dog but rather work on what that particular dog is weakest on.

I try real hard on the line to communicate to the dog whether we are going for a blind or a mark. Of my two dogs Bam gets it darn near 100% when we go from mark to blind. Her weakness is then picking up a long mark that is tight to a longer blind she has already picked up. Missy is close to the opposite, she runs out to the long mark and I almost always have to handle her off the mark and onto the blind. Afterwards, when I send for the mark, she mostly just goes to the mark. All dogs will tend to be confused by it and as a handler you have to be ready for anything.

I do the below drill with my transition dogs. I start it off fairly easy like depicted on the picture and work it out to longer and harder. I train them to mainly pick up the short blinds first and then the longer blinds, but I also train long first then the short. I'll have them eventually running right by an exposed bird to an unseen bird out there 150 yards longer. It's just more training on the way to having an all age dog.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Senior Member Moosetogooseranch's Avatar

That blind in the Ca Nat that Howard posted was double tough. There was a change of cover - slot- just past where the PB landed. Then if the dog got loose on the end looking for the mark they were out of sight in a heart beat.
    Very difficult blind!

Very difficult Natiional

Bill & Micki
    Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known unto God. Phil 4:6

Quote Originally Posted by Moosetogooseranch View Post
    That blind in the Ca Nat that Howard posted was double tough. There was a change of cover - slot- just past where the PB landed. Then if the dog got loose on the end looking for the mark they were out of sight in a heart beat.
    Very difficult blind!

Very difficult Natiional
    ..handle ok though in that event on retrieve of PB? Silly question, but not up on rules in Canada...

Thanks..

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Senior Member Moosetogooseranch's Avatar

Judy, the PB was not to be picked up. However, that did not prevent several dogs from looking for it.

Bill & Micki
    Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known unto God. Phil 4:6

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011