The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Lincoln - The Movie

  1. #1
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,494

    Default Lincoln - The Movie

    I finally had the chance to see the movie yesterday afternoon. In the fashion of most Spielberg movies, the cinematography was awesome, good actors and acting. Unlike other Spielberg historical movies like The Pacific (a must see) and Band Of Brothers, Spielberg left out several important aspects of Lincoln's political life.

    Most notably was the 13th Amendment. This movie attempted to portray Lincoln for something he really wasn't. In 1861 Lincoln support the first 13th Amendment which failed to pass. That one supported the slave states to determine the issue on their own. The second 13th Amendment in 1865 freed the slaves. Lincoln support of the second 13th Amendment was purely political as he wanted to keep Foreign goverments from getting involved with our Civil War and not from some deep anti-slavery conviction that Lincoln possessed!

    Just want to set the record straight
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    422

    Default

    What? Lincoln is not a demigod with more morals than Jesus? That's what I was taught in school. That's heresy. The civil war was about slavery, not about money or states rights, or an urban north punishing an agricultural south. If folks think that lincoln was this moral abolitionist, why did he wait until two years into the war to issue the emancipation proclamation, and why did it only free slaves in the federally controlled south? If anyone thinks Lincoln was a good president, you need to read history. ( stepping off soapbox)

  3. #3
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I finally had the chance to see the movie yesterday afternoon. In the fashion of most Spielberg movies, the cinematography was awesome, good actors and acting. Unlike other Spielberg historical movies like The Pacific (a must see) and Band Of Brothers, Spielberg left out several important aspects of Lincoln's political life.

    Most notably was the 13th Amendment. This movie attempted to portray Lincoln for something he really wasn't. In 1861 Lincoln support the first 13th Amendment which failed to pass. That one supported the slave states to determine the issue on their own. The second 13th Amendment in 1865 freed the slaves. Lincoln support of the second 13th Amendment was purely political as he wanted to keep Foreign goverments from getting involved with our Civil War and not from some deep anti-slavery conviction that Lincoln possessed!

    Just want to set the record straight

    I would offer that your afternoon was better spent watching a Spielberg movie than your other choices!!!!

    Don't worry, I watched it for you......delightful!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    ,,,,, why did he wait until two years into the war to issue the emancipation proclamation,. ( stepping off soapbox)

    well, what one? I seem to recall the one everyone talks about is the 2nd. the first was18 months ish earlier that was ignored. somebody can search that if you need to check me. I got decoys in the truck to demuck OH, and it was military, not moral. but can swing both ways.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    ... and why did it only free slaves in the federally controlled south? . ( stepping off soapbox)
    that is simple, it was a military order. The Army of the United States was only in control of those grounds. The Grounds above were the free Northern States and the grounds below were in control of the Army of Southern Aggresion. Hence the order only applied to what the commander actualy held in charge.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  6. #6
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    well, what one? I seem to recall the one everyone talks about is the 2nd. the first was18 months ish earlier that was ignored. somebody can search that if you need to check me. I got decoys in the truck to demuck OH, and it was military, not moral. but can swing both ways.
    It doesn't hide the fact that in 1861 Lincoln supported the rights of the southern states to determine the issue for themselves and then when it was politically expedient, supported emancipation in 1865.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Thanks for your responses ken, it is nice to come across someone north of the mason Dixon line that knows something about the war between the states history. While we may disagree on the motive behind the orders, it is easy for this southern boy to get nostalgic and hop onto my soapbox when anyone mentions Lincoln. Thanks for putting up with it. Lincoln is still in my book one of the worst presidents ever and I can't bring myself to watch this movie

  8. #8
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post

    Lincoln is still in my book one of the worst presidents ever and I can't bring myself to watch this movie
    WOW...You might want to run that past the MSP, or most Democrats/leftists/socialists/Marxists...That's pure racist! Ranks right up there with a white guy saying "Detroit".

    Ever consider reading O Reilly's book..."The killing of Lincoln"? Should make you smile.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  9. #9
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    that is simple, it was a military order. The Army of the United States was only in control of those grounds. The Grounds above were the free Northern States and the grounds below were in control of the Army of Southern Aggresion. Hence the order only applied to what the commander actualy held in charge.
    Whereas you may have the rest correct, it was the brave boys in grey that were fighting for freedom against the NORTHERN ARMY of AGGRESSION (that's what my grandmother told me and innocent southern belle that she was, she wouldn't lie).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,420

    Default

    I might watch the movie strictly for entertainment value because of the actors involved, I am not a Lincoln scholar nor do I care to be, I am sure the truth about Lincoln lies somewhere between the romanticized versions many of us were taught in school to those on here that offer a different opinion based on what they have studied

    Now if Marvin were to tell me something about a past president I pay attention because there is a greater chance that he actually lived during that time
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •