The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln - The Movie

This was an interesting article I just read. And while it is not from an unbiased site(which I don't think exist) it gives another look at some history. I think the most interesting part is the Robert E. Lee letter wher he writes

" . . . [T]he consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of the ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it." .

A lot of the problems our country faces today are the same ones we faced years ago.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/denson6.html

Kathy and I saw it last Monday. We thought the acting was very good but I almost nodded off a couple of times. It was a little slow as I guess history can be.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Now if Marvin were to tell me something about a past president I pay attention because there is a greater chance that he actually lived during that time
    - things have changed in the time I have been here - the history lessons from HS have proven to be so much BS - but I'll pass on a few of my observations.

I wished I had read more of Coolidge - apparently he was one of our better POTUS -
    Lincoln & Teddy probably don't deserve to be on Rushmore -
    Ike started the Interstate Highway system but also gave us Earl Warren -
    Nixon improved relations with China but also took us off the Gold standard -
    Reagan gets a lot more credit than he deserves -
    Truman was an Old style D but taught us to fight wars but not win -
    The defining election of my time was the Goldwater loss -
    Romney could not in his wildest dreams be worse than the present POTUS -

But what I believe will kill the country is the tremendous loss of practical knowledge in the work force at all levels - book smarts are just that - actual experience beats all the theory that can be assembled. I would stop all student loans except for those in STEM & limit the amount there. I see that in the original postings & the C & P's posted. While it's nice to have the folks who are wordsmiths around to chronicle the happenings, they don't know from siccem when it's comes to being a doer. There is no fountain of talent to run the country at the public level, & it seems to have stopped at the Reagan POTUS.

Thank God for Scalia on the SCOTUS - I believe his influence to be immense & good for the country - Thomas is fine but not outgoing, so it's up to Alioto to take the reins when Scalia steps down - as a young person I would get to know him well, at the least in what's chronicled -

There truly seems to be a real issue of folks being unable to differentiate between right & wrong. I blame that on one thing: permissiveness. If you are permissive, you are a contributor . Thank God for folks who keep the country from drifting too far left - if you do that, you have my heartfelt Thanks.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    - things have changed in the time I have been here - the history lessons from HS have proven to be so much BS - but I'll pass on a few of my observations.

I wished I had read more of Coolidge - apparently he was one of our better POTUS -
    Lincoln & Teddy probably don't deserve to be on Rushmore -
    Ike started the Interstate Highway system but also gave us Earl Warren -
    Nixon improved relations with China but also took us off the Gold standard -
    Reagan gets a lot more credit than he deserves -
    Truman was an Old style D but taught us to fight wars but not win -
    The defining election of my time was the Goldwater loss -
    Romney could not in his wildest dreams be worse than the present POTUS -

But what I believe will kill the country is the tremendous loss of practical knowledge in the work force at all levels - book smarts are just that - actual experience beats all the theory that can be assembled. I would stop all student loans except for those in STEM & limit the amount there. I see that in the original postings & the C & P's posted. While it's nice to have the folks who are wordsmiths around to chronicle the happenings, they don't know from siccem when it's comes to being a doer. There is no fountain of talent to run the country at the public level, & it seems to have stopped at the Reagan POTUS.

Thank God for Scalia on the SCOTUS - I believe his influence to be immense & good for the country - Thomas is fine but not outgoing, so it's up to Alioto to take the reins when Scalia steps down - as a young person I would get to know him well, at the least in what's chronicled -

There truly seems to be a real issue of folks being unable to differentiate between right & wrong. I blame that on one thing: permissiveness. If you are permissive, you are a contributor . Thank God for folks who keep the country from drifting too far left - if you do that, you have my heartfelt Thanks.
    Great post ! Well said.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~