The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Crazy thing at the range

Default Crazy thing at the range

This is one for the books. I am shooting trap. There are 15 shooters on three fields. Another twenty shooters hanging around. While this is going on, three people sneak onto the range and try to steal ladders and other equipment from the range!

Are they INSANE?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

You said "try"! I wonder why they were unsuccessful?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

You might be right.

Last week my hubby called at the end of the day to say his Honda was running oddly and he was going to get it checked out. He called back 10 minutes later to tell me someone had stollen the catalytic converter off of his car! In the broad daylight, with the car parked outside his place of business. Car place said they can get up to $300 for them as scrap. Pretty gutsy.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Last week my hubby called at the end of the day to say his Honda was running oddly and he was going to get it checked out. He called back 10 minutes later to tell me someone had stollen the catalytic converter off of his car! In the broad daylight, with the car parked outside his place of business. Car place said they can get up to $300 for them as scrap. Pretty gutsy.

Meredith
    I know a guy that had custom exhaust installed on his older Ford truck which was his daily driver. He was an electrician working on the rooftop of a high rise building and watched a truck pull up next to where his was parked and two guys used a sawzall to cut off his new exhaust. They threw it in their truck and drove off in a matter of minutes. If these people put the kind of energy into an honest days work that they do into drugs/theft they'd be much better off.

Several years ago I was visiting some family staying in a house along the intra-coastal canal. Docked directly across from us was the Customs Services boat. As we sat on the patio, some guy gets on the boat, comes around to the water side (in plain view of folks on our side of the canal but blocked from the view of people on the pier side), picks up a metal chair and begins pounding on the window trying to break into the deck cabin. We called the cops, and I had my 600mm lens with me, so I could shoot photos of the whole thing. Window was either very thick glass or plexiglass and the miscreant was unable to break it. By the time the cops showed up, he had wandered off the boat so we had to blow the dog whistle to get their attention and then wave them into the direction he had gone. Actually pretty entertaining to watch the guy bang the window as hard as he could and just have the chair bounce off.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

[QUOTE=HPL;1042701].......so we had to blow the dog whistle to get their attention and then wave them into the direction he had gone. QUOTE]

So ,how did they handle? Most cops I know of don't take overs or angle backs very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    This is one for the books. I am shooting trap. There are 15 shooters on three fields. Another twenty shooters hanging around. While this is going on, three people sneak onto the range and try to steal ladders and other equipment from the range!

Are they INSANE?
    Well I just have to say that they could have picked something with a little less risk than a gun club with 35 armed citizens.

So how were they thwarted? Or were they?

To thebigcat: I once asked your question of the cops sent out to investigate after we were robbed. Why can't they work this hard at a real job? Both cops answered, "this is their real job". And of course they were never caught because we were near a state line. 5 minutes down the road they were able to fence the stuff without the closest law enforcement able to do anything.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    So how were they thwarted? Or were they?

To thebigcat: I once asked your question of the cops sent out to investigate after we were robbed. Why can't they work this hard at a real job? Both cops answered, "this is their real job". And of course they were never caught because we were near a state line. 5 minutes down the road they were able to fence the stuff without the closest law enforcement able to do anything.
    They were thwarted by the range officer. That gives you an idea as to how close they were to the shooters. The range officer yelled at them and asked if they were crazy, so many people with guns and they are trying to steal stuff. It was enough but we couldn't believe it. We all commented that they certainly had,put politely, "a lot of nerve".

I did a lot of crazy things in my time but I never tried to steal from gun toting people.