RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Growling Problems

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Meleagris1 
#1 ·
I have 5 month old black lab. About a monh ago he started growling when touched by his food and sometimes when he was sleeping, I would take away his food or discipline him. He still is growling when at his food but when I move him or something he will try and cuddle or get close to me but still be growling. I guess I just don't quite understand it and don't knw what to do about it. Any help would be great.

#3 ·
This is not something that more force, punishment, etc, is going to "cure", nor can you get the help you need over the Internet. This could be something ranging from totally innocuous to a real indication of aggression, but really can't be diagnosed from a blip description online. Just thinking that the pup is alpha or trying to be is a mistake. I would suggest you get someone to observe you and pup, someone who is knowledgeable about dogs, puppies, raising and training them. Is your breeder nearby and are they experienced enough to help you? Where in WI are you for some suggestions for hands-on help? As well, take him to vet to rule out any physical problems that might be causing him discomfort.

#4 ·
I am down in platteville currently but will be returning home to eagle river over the holidays. I did't get him from a breeder but from a guy on know who had puppies from his hunting labs. I agree with you that force will not cure this problem. Most of the time like I said hes not even being aggressive to me its like hes randomly growling and when I say no he continues to growl and starts shaking like hes scared and comes up close to say sorry but stil while growling.

#10 ·
Eagle River is about two hours from me, if you don't have some answers by the time you get back up here, give me a call. I pm'd you my phone numbers. I will actually be heading over to the UP after xmas, could maybe swing by your way if timing works.

#6 ·
I agree with Rainmaker - you need someone with a lot of experience to observe you and the dog. At 5 months old, stepping up to be the alpha dog would be unusual, although not unheard of. Growling can be due to fear, insecurity, pain, dominance, or even for fun. I have had a couple of dogs that were "loud" in their play and it sounds like they are going in for the kill when they were having a blast.

Before you get someoone to observe you and the dog, I would take the dog to the vet for a complete work up. Maybe there is something physical going on that is causing him pain.

#7 ·
I have a young male who growls at the older one when the older one humps him or annoys him in some othr way. Sometimes he just can't seem to calm down and will keep growling when I grab him to break it up or tell him to stop. In this case it seems like insecurity and I just make him take a time out in his box. If the older one seems to have instigated it, he gets a time out, too. I don't like it at all, but holding his muzzle and mild force isn't helping. I've had a bunch of dogs and this is a first for me...

#8 ·
Yeah i mean its hard to explain and you would have to see it. THe dog is great otherwise, doing great retrieves, does basic commands well, besides heel we are having problems with this one, and overall a great dog to be around this is his only problem and its got me stumped. THanks for the help though. Ill have to take him to the vet and have him checked out.

#9 ·
I think that is your best bet. The growling when sleeping, etc. is what would concern me. I do have a couple of dogs who "talk".... sounds like growling, but you can actually converse with them. If you ask them a question, they will keep up the "talk"/growling. Kinda funny actually.

#11 · (Edited)
That sounds like growling due to insecurity, as opposed to aggressiveness. I had a lab that was like that. I agree that physically correcting for this won't help, the dog is trying to alert you to the fact that at that moment he is nervous about what you are doing, what's going to happen etc. More socializing with dogs and people to build his confidence helped greatly with my guy, but its work and time consuming. Help him learn that there is no reason to be timid, fearful or concerned. Most people just avoid that things that cause the nervousness, definitely not the best way to handle it though.

#13 ·
Ok thanks alot kim Ill be sure to keep that in mind! I took him to the vet today and they could not give me a staight answer. They tested for limes and other tick diseases also he had swollen anal glands which needed to be drained and a temp of 103.5. The tests were negative. They told me pain could be caused from bone growth. So they ended up giving me some pain meds to use if things don't change. They said by the way he acted that it did't seem like a dominance problem either. But ill keep you posted on his development Thanks alot!

#14 ·
Susan, No I dont. Im only here for two more weeks then moving to black river falls after the holidays for my new job. I have never been to a training group before not sure how they work and what not. If you have advice im always willing to listen and try it out or if you think I should talk with them.

#15 ·
Did the vet look for parasites? Worms etc. can sometimes cause aggressive growling etc. when a pup is touched on the side or belly. As you say he was in to the vet for a fever and anal-stomach issues, the pain-discomfort from that could be causing the growling.

#16 ·
There are retriever people in LaCrosse, Winona, etc. Not sure what your goals are... hunting, Hunting tests, field trials, companion dog? always good to train with a group to get advice, throw marks, etc.

#17 ·
They did a blood test but not a fecal test. When they were touching him he seemed fine just really scared. So im leaning towards to insecurity subject more now. Im trying the pain meds though to see if it helps. Im training him for hunting general companionship.

#19 ·
When they were touching him he seemed fine just really scared. So im leaning towards to insecurity subject more now.
I think you are on the right tract here. Do you leave him alone a lot? Did he get much socialization as a pup? I see this most in dogs that were not exposed to new environments and different people and dogs as pups. This can be a tough nut to crack, but you want to build his confidence and help him understand that there is nothing to be fearful of or concerned about. For example, when you brush against him while eating, have a small treat in your hand to give to him, he will quickly associate that touch with a treat and it won't bother him.

#18 ·
Did the vet offer any suggestions about the 103.5 temp? Hopefully, he feels better with the anal glands expressed, but that elevated temp would concern me if it doesn't go down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.