The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Waterdog by Robert Wolters

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Tom Quinn is an old family friend of Clint's and would always take the time and chat with me, but sometimes his artistic free spirit thoughts were a little out there, but he really knew his dog stuff, a real good eye for dog talent, and a VERY good trainer, and an even better artist
    Perhaps Renassiance Man is an over statement for Tom, but he is an intelligent astute observer of dogs, an exceptional trainer, and an even more exceptional artist. The few of us left who knew him miss his participation. I was the fortunate recipient of a print he produced of Desert Quail which I received as a gift many years ago, it is a treasured possession.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Perhaps Renassiance Man is an over statement for Tom, but he is an intelligent astute observer of dogs, an exceptional trainer, and an even more exceptional artist. The few of us left who knew him miss his participation. I was the fortunate recipient of a print he produced of Desert Quail which I received as a gift many years ago, it is a treasured possession.

thats the term I was searching for...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon, I would add Bill Tarrant's "Hey Pup, Fetch It Up" to the list. I've had all the above books, enjoyed reading them, used some of the thoughts and discarded others-- I'm neither a good trainer nor a good handler, just a Labrador (Chocolate proforable) lover of long standing. I knew Mr. Wolters well enough that he asked that I call him Dick, as he said his friends did. He was a good writer, borrowing some ideas when experience did not meet his needs. He had a good since of humor and when he died, he was in an ultralight aircraft when I believe he had a heart attack. He would probably would have writen a book on flying ultra lights. (He was an accomplished sail plane pilot ((glider)). I got to know him because he liked Cleo.

Read everything you can about the training of dog, the way they think and be patient with them. They have been patient with me for over thirty years and I love them for it. Above all, HAVE FUN, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Sorry, yes i ment Richards.

Thank you for the information. You all bring up the good point of the book being aged. The main reason i asked was because it's the only method that i was familiar with being as how it's what family uses.

And yes the she's going to be a personal companion and hunting partner/retriever. Not interested in the field competitions and what not. Not that I dont have massive respect for what you and your partners do, I think it's amazing, just not what i have in mind for my own retriever.

Plan on checking out those Hillmann DVD's this weekend for sure.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Chris. It depends on what you want. I would rather you read Wolters than nothing at all. As a matter of fact I trained a decent hunting dog using Wolters about 30 yrs ago. Things have come a long way and better methods exist now. Patented Forum response is join a training group where you can get a mentor to help you and choose a recent program to follow, several great programs are supporters of this site. Good luck
    To me this is a perfect response. Too many people are quick to make fun of Richard Wolters when his book actually did work for many average hunters in making a serviceble retriever for them to hunt with. It just didn't work with every dog and wasn't meant by Wolters to be taken literally. I trained my first Golden with the book back in 1979 and it worked perfect for what I needed. Twelve years later I moved to Montana and bought another Golden, a male this time. I bought Wolters' updated Game Dog and started with my pup on day 49. By day 66 I was about ten days behind and very frustrated to the point that my wife, who I was driving crazy, made me look up Wolters number in New York and give him a call. He was actually very nice, told me I was taking his book too literally and recommended that as Tim suggested, I hook up with a local amateur training group to take me under their wing.

It took a little searching, but eventually word of mouth led me to Jim Mitchell and the rest is history. Kimo the dog that struggled with Wolters method, flourished in a Carr based program, earned Started and Working Retriever titles in NAHRA, then Junior, Senior and Master titles in AKC. That led to another dog and field trials. A lot of people make fun of Wolters because he was pretty eccentric, probably was a better writer than dog trainer, and as Tim pointed out there are better programs out there now. That said, the OP could well train a nice hunting dog just by using Wolters book, many others have.

John

I really enjoy cave drawings....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

probably was a better writer than dog trainer
    No probably about it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    A lot of people make fun of Wolters because he was pretty eccentric, probably was a better writer than dog trainer, John
    Wolters showed up at the MT State trial in Butte in 1965, had a couple of very nice young dogs. Tar, a little over 2 ran test dog for the Derby. He turned a lot of people off with his comments about FT's, then the only game in town. Neither dog's handling capablilities were shown to the audience .

He drove a Ford with really huge tires on the back end to accommodate his camper, that's what I remember most about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    No probably about it.
    1973 NFC Baird's Centerville Sam was trained by Wolter's books up until he was sold to the Wallace's. Rumor has it that it took Sorenson about a year to undo those training techniques, but they still apparently worked up until the dog was sold & ingrained something for the future .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I love the Wolters book - I often use it as a beer coaster while watching Lardy's Total Retriever Training segments.
    Seriously, it's a fun read, and I like it just for that if nothing else.

I started out reading waterdog, and it got me started in the right direction but I will say this if you have the resources get as many books and videos as you can afford and while much of the material is the same some of tips and tricks are different and devise a training plan your comfortable with. In my opinion there is no go to training program.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE