The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts on Waterdog by Robert Wolters

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    think my New Year resolution will be the furtherance and promotion of a more formal approach amongst you guys in the dress dept. Breeks, tweeds, sock flashes, the lot.

Eug, to paraphrase Mae West as channeled by your countess of country sport above, "Is that one of those ridiculously long American field trial guns in your pocket -

or are you just glad to see me?"

MG

Wayne,

Thanks so much for posting that delicious snap of RW!

I don't have much to add to the discussion save that I too find his written works rather charming period pieces. You could still put together a decent retriever with his stuff, but time has moved on and better things are available. I put RW in the same bracket as his (approximate) UK equivalent Peter Moxon. I met PM several times and a nicer bloke never pulled on boots; he was a very fine writer, a great judge of a bottle of Burgundy, and an even greater judge of a well turned female ankle. Dog trainer? ... oh well.

I think my New Year resolution will be the furtherance and promotion of a more formal approach amongst you guys in the dress dept. Breeks, tweeds, sock flashes, the lot.

One for the lads .... and another for the lassies

Eug

I always was quite fond of Lassie

What? Timmy's in the well?

Eug,

Could you explain the difference between knickers and breeks? (With photos??)

Quote Originally Posted by Pas Bon View Post
    Back when that book came out labs were easier to train, they had more natural ability, today much of that has been bred out of them in exchange for high powered greyhound like traits. I have had very good results using Mike Stewart's "Training the Wildrose Way" and advice from Robert Milner.

Merry Christmas Everybody...I'm out!
    This statement is simply absurd.

Keith posted
    Could you explain the difference between knickers and breeks? (With photos??)
    You are a very wicked man . But, nothing loathe and always up for a challenge I offer the following pic of a charming young lady wearing tweed breeks and shooting jacket. Unless she's a vey generous and particularly friendly sort, her knickers will remain a matter of speculation!

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Keith posted

You are a very wicked man . But, nothing loathe and always up for a challenge I offer the following pic of a charming young lady wearing tweed breeks and shooting jacket. Unless she's a vey generous and particularly friendly sort, her knickers will remain a matter of speculation!

Eug
    Very funny, Colonel Blimp, 1800's usage of the term "knickers". The girl is cute.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Col. B., When I was in grammer school (Grades 1 thru 8) , in the Fall and Winter, I often wore trousers that ended at my knee with elastic. They were referred to as knickers, and were usually cordaroy material. When I walked rapidly they made a sound and I was often called "whistle britches". We also have the term knickers for under pants, but it is often referred to as " getting into them". Just a different terminology depending on which side of the pond you are on. Mr. Wolters' were the type that ended at his knee and he wore them on the outside! Lord only knows what he had on underneath! He enjoyed being "different".

When judging HRC test I could tell which handlers were Wolters trainees, they sent their dogs on a double tweet, tweet, and would often use the same sound to change direction. I have had great pleasure over the years with the people and their dogs that I have met and it has been with great regret that I can no longer physcally have the ability to run my dog and to judge others running theirs. I truly miss the association with those that have so much inteligence, both human and particularly dogs. It is a great bunch we have over here, i hope you have the same on your side. God Save The Queen, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'