The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Quick Introduction

Default Quick Introduction

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am relatively new to the sport, my first dog was a Chocolate lab that I trained for the most part, outside of some help that I received with FF. We managed through a junior title and were working towards senior title. I utilized him more for a gun dog rather than anything else. He died of cancer in 2010 at the age of 7.
    I then had the opportunity to get a black lab that showed a lot more promise and had a temperament that allowed for a better working relationship between the two of us. With the willingness and desire I was seeing in the pup I decided to get a bit more serious and solicited the help of a Pro. It was well worth the money in my opinion. We grabbed a couple of Jams in the derbies in between his first and second year and passed 4 of the 5 passes needed for his Master Title this past summer. I unfortunately lost him at the young age of 30 months to what I was told was mesenteric torsion ( twist of his small intestines) it was devastating and heartbreaking for me to lose another dog so soon.
    It has taken me some time, but I have started looking at a few upcoming spring litters. I am looking forward to the opportunity to work with a new pup, and watch what these amazing animals can do in the field. Hope to learn and expand my understanding from this forum.
    Jeff

Welcome to the RTF Jeff.

It totally sucks to loose one them young like you did. I'm sorry they're gone.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Hi Jeff,

I will echo Howard's comments. You've been through some tough starts thus far, particularly with your most recent black lab.

You're due for, and hopefully will have, some better luck with your upcoming pup and his/her longevity.

Welcome to RTF and I wish you the best of luck, enjoyment, and time with your new pup.

Sincerely,

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Ditto the comments above. Welcome to this forum. Good luck in your search.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by JHolmes View Post
    We grabbed a couple of Jams in the derbies in between his first and second year and passed 4 of the 5 passes needed for his Master Title this past summer. I unfortunately lost him at the young age of 30 months to what I was told was mesenteric torsion ( twist of his small intestines) it was devastating and heartbreaking for me to lose another dog so soon.

Jeff
    Welcome, and this was a tough “introduction” to read ... your dogs gave you a gift of passion and understanding a lot to offer in a short time. I am sure your next pup will be all the better for it thanks to them. Best of luck and keep us posted!.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Glad to see your getting back on the horse. Keep me post on what you find and if I can help in any way let me know. Hope to see you at the picnics with a new puppy.

Thanks all for the comments and the welcome. I am looking forward to being involved, reading up on and learning from the issues we have as retreiver owners.
    Jeff