The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifles

Default Air Rifles

Don't know anything about 'em, but thinking about getting one. Would be used for plinking, small varmits, just messing around. Imput on calibers, brands and any other insight appreciated.

Thanks
    grandkids have an unfair advantage!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Broussard View Post
    Don't know anything about 'em, but thinking about getting one. Would be used for plinking, small varmits, just messing around. Imput on calibers, brands and any other insight appreciated.

Thanks
    Here is the standard;

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Here is the standard;

RK
    But you will shoot yourself in the eye
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

The red ryder is ok. Its slow and doesnt shoot pellets. Its good for plinking but varmint control... not so great. I bounced a BB off of a blue jay at 30 feet. If you want something inexpensive look for a crossman 760. Its a max of 10 pumps. It can shoot bb's or pellets. Its an all around decent gun for the beginner/plinker.

Personally I like RWS break barrel pellet guns! Ive taken fox out at 30 yards with it. But then again they are pricey.
    Wayne Beck

RIP Moose 2/6/00-1/21/10
    Bull's Harley Road Hog 5/1/10-(in training)
    Bull's Kunte Kinte 11/7/12-

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Beck View Post
    The red ryder is ok. Its slow and doesnt shoot pellets. Its good for plinking but varmint control... not so great. I bounced a BB off of a blue jay at 30 feet. If you want something inexpensive look for a crossman 760. Its a max of 10 pumps. It can shoot bb's or pellets. Its an all around decent gun for the beginner/plinker.

Personally I like RWS break barrel pellet guns! Ive taken fox out at 30 yards with it. But then again they are pricey.
    RWS or Beeman. I have RWS, a model 34 and a sidelever 54. Both from Diana lines. They're are pricey but reliable. Caliber for varmint use .22.

Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

I know you said rifle, but check out those C02 semi auto pistol just for kicks. You can find em for <$50. They aren't much good for varmit hunting, but being able to let 15 bb's fly as fast as you can pull the trigger with no cocking or pumping is pretty fun.

As far as rifles goes, seems like there were/are lots of $100, 1,000 fps deals out there on the single shot, crack barrel type. Gamo, Beeman, Ruger, even Crossman has a couple decent ones.
    Last edited by TN_LAB; 11-29-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Gamo is the cat's azz

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Beck View Post

I know, I just put it up there so the old codgers could get a smile!!

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I just bought a Gamo from their website and got 40% off. Not sure if the code still works but it is worth a try. FB40BC
    Mike Peters

Gamo or other similar break barrel rifles have inherent inaccuracy when used with a scope. Namely the scope is mounted on the receiver while the barrel breaks away on a hinge, never to quite return to the same alignment with the scope. You can get close with lots of speed but not consistently tight groups. I have one and learned this the hard way.
    Best bet is the pump up style like the crosman mentioned earlier. JMO
    Rusty - The best squirrel dog in all of Tibbie, AL
    Beretta - The prettiest thing to ever come out of Yellow Pine, AL

Hugoflats, Panama Canal Zone, one of the few places where Jimmy Carter is still remembered.