The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Gunners Up wingers?

Default Advice on Gunners Up wingers?

I am looking at buys a few gunners up wingers and need some advice on pros and cons between the orginal and the son of a gun wingers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Being a Gunners Up Dealer you might expect me to tell you that either one is a good choice, but frankly I do have a preference for the full size over the Son Of A Gun. I do own both and think that the flexibility of having different throwing positions by using different settings for the bands, as well as the higher and longer throws makes for a better choice if you are looking at one over another. The Son Of a Gun is a great choice for storage and short bed trucks, as well as if you are not looking to do longer marks where a high arc is important. I use the Son of a Gun for shorter hunt test marks and walk ups, and the full size for 100 yard plus marks. Let me know if I can help you further with questions.
    Brian Skibicki, Richmond Hill Georgia (South Bryan County)

HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    HR Ogeechee River's Midnight Rider

Gunners Up Dealer and User

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Skibicki View Post
    Being a Gunners Up Dealer you might expect me to tell you that either one is a good choice, but frankly I do have a preference for the full size over the Son Of A Gun. I do own both and think that the flexibility of having different throwing positions by using different settings for the bands, as well as the higher and longer throws makes for a better choice if you are looking at one over another. The Son Of a Gun is a great choice for storage and short bed trucks, as well as if you are not looking to do longer marks where a high arc is important. I use the Son of a Gun for shorter hunt test marks and walk ups, and the full size for 100 yard plus marks. Let me know if I can help you further with questions.
    X2. I have both and what Brian said is spot on.

I agree with what Brian said. I started with 2 of the son of a gunners due to their compact size and my limited space. Since I got a real dog truck my third was a full sized! I think they all have done well for me and they see regular use with no issues.

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Son of a guns with white thera bands. They throw perfect!!! Love the smaller size..

I have both. I go along with what Brian says. Only get the SOG if storage space is an issue. Then, I'd get the Mini Zinger as they seem easier to carry and use than the SOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Skibicki View Post
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I have both. I go along with what Brian says. Only get the SOG if storage space is an issue. Then, I'd get the Mini Zinger as they seem easier to carry and use than the SOG.
    Why is that? What am I missing?
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

The Gunnersup take two hands to secure the pouch ring on the trigger.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Originally Posted by Howard N

Why is that? What am I missing?
    The SOG doesn't balance right when I'm carrying it. When you put two of them over your shoulder and walk they won't settle in and balance right. You're always making adjustments. You adjust one and the other moves. They always seem to be fighting you. Also, they seem to be heavier than the regular Gunner's Up. I know that can't be true but they carry awkward and heavy. The throw isn't as nice as a regular GU. In cold weather the rubber bands need to be stretched beyond their elastic limit so far they'll tear up. I've done it. A couple of friends of mine have Mini Zingers, they are much easier to use, can use them in colder weather and I think the throw is better.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I agree go with the full size. If space is an issue go with the Zinger Winger. As a matter of fact I think that the ZW2 throws just as far as the gu original so that may be an option for you as well.

Russell