RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Advice on Gunners Up wingers?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Richard McCullough 
#1 ·
I am looking at buys a few gunners up wingers and need some advice on pros and cons between the orginal and the son of a gun wingers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

#2 ·
Being a Gunners Up Dealer you might expect me to tell you that either one is a good choice, but frankly I do have a preference for the full size over the Son Of A Gun. I do own both and think that the flexibility of having different throwing positions by using different settings for the bands, as well as the higher and longer throws makes for a better choice if you are looking at one over another. The Son Of a Gun is a great choice for storage and short bed trucks, as well as if you are not looking to do longer marks where a high arc is important. I use the Son of a Gun for shorter hunt test marks and walk ups, and the full size for 100 yard plus marks. Let me know if I can help you further with questions.

#4 ·
I agree with what Brian said. I started with 2 of the son of a gunners due to their compact size and my limited space. Since I got a real dog truck my third was a full sized! I think they all have done well for me and they see regular use with no issues.

Chris

#8 ·
The Gunnersup take two hands to secure the pouch ring on the trigger.

#9 ·
Originally Posted by Howard N
I have both. I go along with what Brian says. Only get the SOG if storage space is an issue. Then, I'd get the Mini Zinger as they seem easier to carry and use than the SOG.

Why is that? What am I missing?
The SOG doesn't balance right when I'm carrying it. When you put two of them over your shoulder and walk they won't settle in and balance right. You're always making adjustments. You adjust one and the other moves. They always seem to be fighting you. Also, they seem to be heavier than the regular Gunner's Up. I know that can't be true but they carry awkward and heavy. The throw isn't as nice as a regular GU. In cold weather the rubber bands need to be stretched beyond their elastic limit so far they'll tear up. I've done it. A couple of friends of mine have Mini Zingers, they are much easier to use, can use them in colder weather and I think the throw is better.

#10 ·
I agree go with the full size. If space is an issue go with the Zinger Winger. As a matter of fact I think that the ZW2 throws just as far as the gu original so that may be an option for you as well.

Russell

#15 ·
Danny, Glad this thread helped you some. The choice of a winger, like choosing any other piece of equipment, is pretty well a matter of personal preference after a product has stood the test of time in the market. It never is a good practice for one person to say a competitors product is inferior if it is not the case, your house never looks better by burning down your neighbors. If I can help you, or anyone else get pricing or answer any other questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. Have a great week. - Brian

#16 ·
I had the Son of a Gun and had no problems with the throws; easily adjustable.
The staff is friendly and helpful on the phone. I would buy one again.

#17 ·
I have and use 2 Son of a Gun wingers and love them. Some times I wish they would throws just a hair further for a set up. But overall money well spent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.