The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointing Dogs? Anybody train them....

Default Pointing Dogs? Anybody train them....

I recently had the opportunity to go upland hunting for the first time, and really enjoyed watching the dogs work. I was curious if anyone on here has ever trained or been around pointers much. How does the training compare to retreiver training in regards to difficulty? I work with one of the guys affiliated with the hunting preserve we hunted on and he has a 6 month old Llewellin Setter he is selling, and I'm considering getting the dog and training it myself, but I have never even been around pointers until this year. If I was to go ahead and get the dog, what training videos or books do you recommend? Any information, advice, or comments are welcome. Thanks.

KRD

As an old time RTFer would say " it depends". There is a great deal of difference in range in the pointing breeds, even among themselves. Make sure first. Setters can take things personally almost like a Golden.They typically don't have the natural retrieving as a Continental breed would.Delmar Smith's DVDs etc are good.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

I have been around pointers and setters all my life. Totally different training methods from retrievers due to a totally different game, but there is a similar approach as well as numerous different methods (sound familiar?) There is a lot of focus on style and running. Not as much on control. It's a lot of fun training and hunting them.

I don't know about the current literature out there. I grew up with it, so the ones I trained, I trained as I was taught.

There is a big difference in the breeds just like the retriever breeds. My dad used to say, "Pointers have quail for a brain, setters can actually think." The way I look at it is to win the National, pointers are probably the way to go. For the every day hunter that wants a pet as well, a setter may be a better option.

Good luck
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    I recently had the opportunity to go upland hunting for the first time, and really enjoyed watching the dogs work. I was curious if anyone on here has ever trained or been around pointers much. How does the training compare to retreiver training in regards to difficulty? I work with one of the guys affiliated with the hunting preserve we hunted on and he has a 6 month old Llewellin Setter he is selling, and I'm considering getting the dog and training it myself, but I have never even been around pointers until this year. If I was to go ahead and get the dog, what training videos or books do you recommend? Any information, advice, or comments are welcome. Thanks.

KRD
    I have trained a few of them. Stay away from the English Pointers. They are are big running scatter brains. Vizlas are very good, as are Germain Shorthairs. Neither of them are good cold weather dogs though. The Setters are sensitive as noted. All pointers need FF.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    I have trained a few of them. Stay away from the English Pointers. They are are big running scatter brains. Vizlas are very good, as are Germain Shorthairs. Neither of them are good cold weather dogs though. The Setters are sensitive as noted. All pointers need FF.
    What? Stay away from English Pointers? Big running scatter brains? How can you say that about my little girl Gracie...

I'd spend time writing a long rebuttal to your evaluation after having Gracie for 11 years and running NSTRA with her but I have to jump on the quad and go chase her down....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Oh and my god, a Vizla? Seriously? If you want the cleanest and shiniest boot tops in the field get a Vizla.... and don't even get me started on those short on brains shorthairs....ugg makes me shiver...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Big running is what I like. Kind of like the "hard charging" retrievers. Don't care about their brains either. I kind of like them with a quail for a brain my self.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Here we go.Roll up the sleeves and get the popcorn out. I started off with pointing dogs.Specifically GSP. I was in NAVHDA at first and then went to AKC FT.I had what they call in American Field a Wide Shooting dog and in addition to him another one a true All Age dog who's break away was a 1/2 mile.Get on the Walkin Hoss and ride up while the dog was on point and kick the bird out,fire the blank and then release the dog to go on the back course.I had a Pointer lemon bitch given to me that was a grand daughter of Millers White Cloud on top and Riggins White Knight on the bottom.She was a sweety.A lot depends on what you are hunting too.Wide open spaces you want a big running dog. Pheasant and you want a closer dog. Go to the breed you like, look at the back ground and see the parents. I have seen a few(very few) decent Vizlas. I would stick with what you like and get the breeding that is appropriate for your style of hunting.
    Last edited by labsforme; 12-12-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Thanks for all the info so far. What are your thoughts on a Llewellin Setter? Anyone else want to recommend some training material?

I have a weim. He'll run forever and likes to please me. I like Mo Lindley's videos.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.