The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heeling Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    I think of it like the game "Hot & Cold" you played when you were a kid. Using only P+ would be like only saying "cold" as the child moves in the wrong direction while only using R+ would be like only saying "hot". It only makes sense to me to use both to communicate most efficiently.
    good stuff..
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Thanks alot for the info everyone. My pup is five months now. He is doing ok overall I think this is just one command that is hard for me to teach.

I think of it like the game "Hot & Cold" you played when you were a kid. Using only P+ would be like only saying "cold" as the child moves in the wrong direction while only using R+ would be like only saying "hot". It only makes sense to me to use both to communicate most efficiently.
    That's right. The dog wants information.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Darrin, you missed the point.
    Consider how you might improve your handling skills and better communicate with your dog if you did not use your knee at all.
    It seems to me that one of the things many trainers with good handling and communication skills do when they teach a puppy is use tactile communication. We touch dogs with our hands, with sit sticks/heeling sticks, with leashes and collars, and we touch them with e-collar stimulation.

I don't see how responsible and properly moderated contact of the dog with one's knee in teaching healing is a bad idea, is a negative, or is a signal that one needs to improve their handling skills or communication.

I think many poor trainers can abuse a dog with all of the tactile communication options listed above. I think it is unfair to automatically assume that one is training poorly if they use some of these things.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Pete when you give stimulation. are you giving it as soon as they start to leaveor side till they get back?

Dave, I hope you don't mind if I steal your analogy to use with clients.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Dave, I hope you don't mind if I steal your analogy to use with clients.
    Glad you like it. I'm sure I heard it from someone else & it made sense to me.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

[QUOTEPete when you give stimulation. are you giving it as soon as they start to leaveor side till they get back?][/QUOTE]
    Yes Drake ,thats correct. Remember it has to be at a very low level as not to cause the dog to do something you were,t planning on. You can use a leash if you are unsure.

Darrin and Dave ,,,good analogy
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I need a set of suspenders though
    Darrin Greene

Years ago I rode horses and less years competed in obedience trials.

I live in a very dressage orientated area. A highly regarded dressage friend and I were chatting over a bottle a week ago. She was talking of aids required for high level communication with her horse and the number AND VARIED application of DIFFERENT POSITION (spurs for example) of these aids. One position means ONE behavior.

If a novice rider rode her well schooled horse, they would not last long on its back, as the horse would have incorrect and no doubt too many aids confusing applied.

Same thing especially when teaching young dogs. In obedience we used to cue with a big sweeping arm to teach the dog we are leaving the sit position and moving off at heel. Stay would have another cue, a sweep up to the dogs nose.

I think these cues should still be used in teaching baby pups.

Pete, to you think your dog is confused by your body language. May I humbly ask these questions???? You drop your heeling side shoulder. It is not reading your intent clearly. My private obedience instructor used to yell (well advise ha ha)at me, to walk straight. Back to the horse example, that is why they use mirrors for dressage riders. Imagine looking down at our feet, if we were learning to drive a new vehicle.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.