The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Heeling Techniques

[QUOTEPete, to you think your dog is confused by your body language. May I humbly ask these questions???? You drop your heeling side shoulder. It is not reading your intent clearly. My private obedience instructor used to yell (well advise ha ha)at me, to walk straight. Back to the horse example, that is why they use mirrors for dressage riders. Imagine looking down at our feet, if we were learning to drive a new vehicle.][/QUOTE]

Of coarse you can ask and even critique if you like. Im not bothered at all by it. But I must say I'm confused by my body language too. I'm confusing by nature Julie. he!he! he! I'm not into precise obedience,,, All I want from this is a dog that knows where the heel position is,,,, and how to maintain it ,,,in a rough manor,, not precise. As long as she ends up not leaving my side until released or re positioned,,, that's all I'm after

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Hey Pete,

Watched your swim by you tube. Great!!
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Of coarse you can ask and even critique if you like. Im not bothered at all by it. But I must say I'm confused by my body language too. I'm confusing by nature Julie. he!he! he! I'm not into precise obedience,,, All I want from this is a dog that knows where the heel position is,,,, and how to maintain it ,,,in a rough manor,, not precise. As long as she ends up not leaving my side until released or re positioned,,, that's all I'm after

Pete
    If I could add to that I don't think having "correct" body language matters as much as having consistent body language. The dog has no clue the shoulder in dropping. That's just the picture they see. As long as it's consistent, they will react properly.

Giving private obedience lessons I see people do body language in a wide variety of ways. It's not worth it for me to teach them to be precise. It's hard enough for most people to get close. The dogs understand pretty well usually, although sometimes there is such a wide variation among family members that I do have to coach them on being consistent to one another.

For the most part though, I just let them do what they like as long as they getting the correct reaction out of the dog. Kind of like Pete, I'm not training obedience competitors, I'm striving for a well trained pet.

Pete, might I suggest shortening the right suspender a bit?
    Darrin Greene