The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Susana Martinez ... Gov. of New Mexico

Default Susana Martinez ... Gov. of New Mexico

Some of you might remember Susana from the Repub Convention. I was impressed with her then. Is there something NOT to like about this Governor? Am I missing something?
    http://nation.foxnews.com/susana-mar...nez-future-gop

She came into office thinking she had to face a $250 million deficit in the state budget, but the leaving Gov had been stonewalling. The deficit was actually $450 million, she discovered on the day after election. (about 8% of the total $5.6 billion state budget)

How did she handle that? She starting cutting expenses. Where did she start? With appointees! Those employees who are NOT in civil service jobs ... like the employees who report directly to the Gov. The previous Gov exited with 340 of them. Susana has cut that down to 212. She got rid of the two chefs at the Gov's residence. She sold the jet the previous Gov had purchased; as well as four other planes. She limited cabinet secretary positions to a salary of $125,000; and put a 2-year moratorium on the purchase of brand new cars. Meanwhile, she increased spending for education and Medicaid, with no new taxes ... and ended up with a surplus. And she did this with a Democratic house & senate.

Sure could use some of this common sense in DC.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

NM supported the POTUS. Even when they sent R's to congress they were RINO's. JD & 2short are from NM. & that's what I know - I would imagine that the visible cutting would be popular in any climate. I have never understood why they need a chef, maybe someone to clean the mansion & mow the lawn, but those are part timers.

Secretary of something in the future maybe? The R's are developing a deeper bench .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Susana Martinez is the R knee jerk reaction to thinking that they lost the election due to the Hispanic vote, and the female vote....They lost the election because they didnt get enough conservatives, and Republicans to vote...they had a good but not great candidate...they lost because they let the Dems spend tons of money demonizing Mitt....

They are going to have to field a stronger candidate if they want to win the WH back...they need to really re examine their primary season, it did more harm nationally than good
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Susana Martinez is the R knee jerk reaction to thinking that they lost the election due to the Hispanic vote, and the female vote....They lost the election because they didnt get enough conservatives, and Republicans to vote...they had a good but not great candidate...they lost because they let the Dems spend tons of money demonizing Mitt....

They are going to have to field a stronger candidate if they want to win the WH back...they need to really re examine their primary season, it did more harm nationally than good
    Obama getting 71% of the Hispanic vote and a majority of the female vote didn't cost the Repubs the election? I don't think so. The only demographic the Repubs won was with white voters over 56 years of age and white males.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Yes but winning the Hispanic vote alone ain't gonna cut it, fielding a candidate with broad national appeal might be more prudent

Here's a thought lets run a real conservative

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Yes but winning the Hispanic vote alone ain't gonna cut it, fielding a candidate with broad national appeal might be more prudent

Here's a thought lets run a real conservative
    The only real Conservative was rejected by the party, the media and the voters. The party is not going to grow their percentage of the 56 plus vote. Romney would have stood a better chance of getting elected if he ran as his true self. In the primaries, most were trying to see how far right they could get against the so-called front runners and it turned off women, Independents, Hispancis and Asians(70 percent voted Obama).

And to the 1.2 million that voted for Gary Johnson, there aren't many real Conservatives in the Repub Party.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The only real Conservative was rejected by the party, the media and the voters.
    A lifetime rating of 67% from Club for Growth makes him what? Certainly not a conservative!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    A lifetime rating of 67% from Club for Growth makes him what? Certainly not a conservative!
    Club For Growth is as politcal as they come! I look at the man, what he tried to get passed and what he stood for! I can assure you that if RP had his way we wouldn't be dealing with 16.5 TRILLION Deficit. We would have a Balance Budget Amendment, we wouldn't be in two needless wars, we would be doing away with the Crony Capitalism and moving forward to Free Markets! He would honor State's Rights, lower everyone's taxes and respect the Liberty of everyone!

Bon, please don't call Martinez a "knee jerk reaction". She was in office long before the 2012 election. I am more impressed with Martinez than I ever was with Palin.

The fact that the Dems have FEWER minorities in impactful positions than Reps is not the fault of the Rep ... the fact that the Reps have not brought that message to the electorate IS their fault.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Bon, please don't call Martinez a "knee jerk reaction". She was in office long before the 2012 election. I am more impressed with Martinez than I ever was with Palin.

The fact that the Dems have FEWER minorities in impactful positions than Reps is not the fault of the Rep ... the fact that the Reps have not brought that message to the electorate IS their fault.
    Ok maybe my choice of expressions is not correct...Mrs Martinez is obviously not but putting her to the forefront is certainly a typical R reaction..The party has a poor track record of hyping the candidate du jour, and and an even poorer track record of going back to the old guard and NOT cultivating new fresh face with fresher ideas..

If Gov Martinez were not Hispanic would she be in the conversation, how about Nikki Haley, Jan Brewer,Kelly Ayotte..

I want some newer blood at the forefront of the party..How about Trey Gowdy from South Carolina,Rand Paul from Ky., Marco Rubio...Eric Cantor..and yes Paul Ryan....they need to be leading the party....not sure R party chair Priebus has a game plan at this time