The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a pup with a blaze

Default Bought a pup with a blaze

I'm not really worried about the blaze as I did research but it bothered me that the breeder failed to tell me before pup was shipped.Oh well he is a well built dog with good lines and already is a retrieving fool(for a pup)and my daughter is in love with him.Guess I'm gonna have to live with it.And he is inside passed out at my feet as we speak.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

That blaze might fade out..or disappear into fur as he grows? I have a Golden Retriever that lost his white as he grew up.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

As long as you aren't worried about breeding for conformation, what difference does it make?

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

If I recall correctly, the Labrador standard allows for a blaze - even in conformation. I know it doesn't in Goldens, but some of the best field Goldens in the world have a blaze. And, between us all, I know a bitch who took WB at the GRCA National that has a blaze. Her breeder called her Spot when most couldn't hear.

So I guess a blaze wouldn't be something that worries me, Labrador or Golden.
    Chuck

My golden had a prominent white blaze. It disappeared. It bothered me at first but then I saw all of her good qualities and said what the heck. Again, it is totally gone.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I did the same thing....but was told about the spots after I'd comitted verbally. Wish i knew more about this "blaze" and how frequently/if it shows up. Neither of the Grhrch parents had a blaze, but all 8 pups had some white somewhere or another. In the end I decided to move forward anyway, and actually chose the pup with one of the larger white spots that had clear health checks vs one with smaller spots that wasn't.

For reference to the size to give you an idea what what may happen with yours, see pix - The first pic is at 10wks or so, and the second pic is at 8 months.

Sometimes it blends in with the scenery

And sometimes, if you get lucky, may make it a little easier for the judges to remember with callbacks.

MG

Thanks for the comments and pictures.I'm gonna try and get a pic up but yes the black pup looks like mine.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    As long as you aren't worried about breeding for conformation, what difference does it make?
    Darn, Bert - up til just now I thought s/he might be talking about breeding for confirmation (and working - which can be a four-letter word with some retriever breeds) and be happy about having a blaze.

MG

Thanks for the splell check Mike
    Bert Rodgers