The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mountain Top still in business?

Default Is Mountain Top still in business?

I've been thinking about one of their boxes, have had some emailed correspondence with them in recent weeks, but now their web site is gone and emails to them are returned.....

Buy an Ainley instead. Far better customer service.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    If you've got time to wait 8 months to have a box built, Ainley is an excellent option. It looks like mtck let their domain expire which killed their site and email. I'd assume they will have it back up and running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post

No doubt Ainley makes a fine product, but they are leaving a lot of business on the table by being unable to supply a product in a more reasonable time frame. I know nothing about the company or its management, but an increase in their manufacturing capability is clearly warranted if it takes them this long to make someone a basic dog box. I'm not going to wait as long as they have told me to get a simple 2-hole slide in and wouldn't be surprised if others have a similar view.

You can have products done 3 ways. Inexpensive, fast and quality. Unfortunately you can never have more than 2 of those done at once. So Ainley goes the route of quality and inexpensive in comparisons to others that are going for fast and quality like Deerskin but you pay for it. Then there's Mtntop which seems to be inexpensive and fast leaving the other one...
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Troy,
    I just think the excessive wait would cause them to miss some sales. With the addition of some manufacturing capability, they could speed up deliveries, pick up lost customers, and become a more profitable company. Of course if they aren't running the business with that as an objective, then the status quo works fine...

I'm in the same boat and apparently, so are many others (see Bill Hillman's video about his MTCK box). I wanted an Ainley, but couldn't stomach the 7-8 month wait time, so I'll be going with a Mountaintop box. I know several folks with MTCK boxes that are nice, quality made products, and the newer boxes seem like an improvement over the older ones. I think it's an oversimplification to suggest that MTCK is producing products on a short time frame at the expense of quality. I guess if I wanted a 20 hole trailer, my opinion might be different, but a 2 hole box is not rocket science.

I found Mountain Top's phone number and learned all is fine except for their internet server. They can get me a 2-hole insulated stainless box with any add-ons ready to go very quickly as they have the basics in production already. Ainley makes a great box, but I just don't see how it's worth waiting 8 months in my case. Someone at MTCK read books about Henry Ford and Jack Welch!

Two years ago when I was looking for a 2hole box MTCK was a 1,000 dollars more than Ainley for a similar design. I was going with Ainely and ready to wait until I found the same box slightly used for 800 less with no wait.

I really like my MTCK 3 hole with extended drawers. Very well built and not any less expensive than Ainley. Very nice people to deal with as well!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)