The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: heartworm preventative

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by verne socks View Post
    Noticed at Fleet Farm today they only carried the Ivomec Plus 1% for Cattle. Any difference between this and Ivomec 1% for Cattle & Swine?
    Yes there is. Don't use the Plus formula. Its for liver flukes in cattle.

WRL

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

Interceptor doesn't work in the heart of the "South". Probably one of the worst where we live. We use Advantage Multi or have some owners who use ProHeart. Both have the same active ingredient. Studies are completed that demonstrate their effectiveness. Out of three local vets, no cases of heartworms on advantage multi while the others can't boast the same effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by championretrievers View Post
    Interceptor doesn't work in the heart of the "South". Probably one of the worst where we live. We use Advantage Multi or have some owners who use ProHeart. Both have the same active ingredient. Studies are completed that demonstrate their effectiveness. Out of three local vets, no cases of heartworms on advantage multi while the others can't boast the same effectiveness.
    What do you pair Advantage Multi with for tick control? I've been thinking of switching. I've heard that it also works against ticks but Bayer doesn't market it that way in the US.

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

Default Advantage Multi

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    What do you pair Advantage Multi with for tick control? I've been thinking of switching. I've heard that it also works against ticks but Bayer doesn't market it that way in the US.
    Scott,
    Advantage Multi works well for fleas but is a weak tick protectant. We don't have a big problem in our area and out of 20 something dogs, have only had 1-2 ticks since the beginning of summer until now. However, when traveling up north I use a tick collar, Preventic. I have also been told that you can use such products as advantix if needed, use one on the first and one on the fifteenth. I always loved advantix too before we began using the Multi.

Tina Perron

Quote Originally Posted by championretrievers View Post

I have heard the same about Advantage Multi from a few highly respected(at least by me) trainers. I just wish they would come out with a solid form instead of the topical.

Then I ran into this concerning the ProHeart. When it was published/posted, I have no idea and take the info for what its worth....... http://www.spoiled-paws.com/ph6.htm
    Last edited by RJW; 12-27-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Here's another heartworm thread.....I've read about this problem 'til my eyeballs have popped out, and still don't have a good answer. I'm in the Midsouth---the Heartworm Capital of America---and have been dosing my 11 yr. old lab with 0.1 cc/10 lbs. body wt ivermectin since she was a pup. She had her last negative heartworm check in November. My daughters 2 labs (9 yrs. & 13 yrs.) are on the same dose with negative results. They're dosed religiously every month--no misses. Others have reported ivermectin resistance. Really wish I knew the answer. One reason I don't fully agree with the ivermectin resistance theory is that in our area, most dogs (and all coyotes) don't get heartworm protection of any kind. Seems to me that would create a 'refuge population' of susceptible worms which would delay or prevent resistance. Monsanto uses the 'refuge population' idea in their earworm resistant corn & cotton seed. I'd like for someone with more experience/education to comment on this...does my theory make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Patos View Post
    I'm another Ivomec user at 1cc per 100lbs for over 20yrs and no problem in the marsh.
    This. It has worked for me for over 20 years and cost me about $3/dog/year.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I dose orally at 0.10CC per 10 lbs in theory but generally actually under dose at about 75 pct of this in practice most months.

I note that this is an injectable solution for cattle and pigs, why do we not inject subcutaneous for our dogs.
    not sure why you would under dose, I lean toward a bit more rather than a bit less. With me a 100 pound dog is getting between 1 and 1.1 cc each month. An additional .1-.2 cc is not going to overdose the dog and will prevent HW. under dosing on the other hand may not prevent HW.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke