RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

heartworm preventative

11K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  badbullgator 
#1 ·
#14 · (Edited)
A vet told me yesterday that Interceptor is due out again in February 2013.

#5 ·
Marty, Mickey and I have been using Ivomec for over 20yrs with great results. We give .5cc per 5 lbs per month than double it twice a year. Our vet knows what we use and is ok with that. One bottle is around 50.00 but will last several years if only one or 2 dogs. You can buy it at most feed stores.

#8 ·
Was going to do the ivermectin myself but one of my friends dogs came up positive after taking ivermectin based medicine monthly. Talked to my vet and she actually switched from heartgard to trifexis because of the amount of positive tests she's encountered with ivermectin based meds. She said its happening all over the south. So we are a trifexis and $20 a month family now

#10 ·
Actually, Karen is overdosing her dogs just like I said she was. Whether her dogs' have had an "overdosing" reaction is not what I was implying. She even states that then she DOUBLES THAT twice a year. That is 10x the proper dosage.

Of 1% Ivermectin solution (Its the most common solution percentage), the dosage is 1 cc per 100 lbs approx.

She is dosing .5 cc per 10 lbs (or 1cc per 20 lbs). That is 5x what she should be dosing for GENERAL WORMING......

Dr Ed (on the link I provided) confirms the proper dosage for Ivermectin for both Heartworm control and General wormings.

WRL

#27 ·
This. It has worked for me for over 20 years and cost me about $3/dog/year.

#16 ·
I have given 1 cc per day for 45 consecutive days for mange and had no side effects...At present I give 1 cc on the 1st and the 15th of the month as a preventive ...I don't worry about over dosing any more...Steve S

#28 ·
not sure why you would under dose, I lean toward a bit more rather than a bit less. With me a 100 pound dog is getting between 1 and 1.1 cc each month. An additional .1-.2 cc is not going to overdose the dog and will prevent HW. under dosing on the other hand may not prevent HW.

#22 ·
Interceptor doesn't work in the heart of the "South". Probably one of the worst where we live. We use Advantage Multi or have some owners who use ProHeart. Both have the same active ingredient. Studies are completed that demonstrate their effectiveness. Out of three local vets, no cases of heartworms on advantage multi while the others can't boast the same effectiveness.

#26 ·
Here's another heartworm thread.....I've read about this problem 'til my eyeballs have popped out, and still don't have a good answer. I'm in the Midsouth---the Heartworm Capital of America---and have been dosing my 11 yr. old lab with 0.1 cc/10 lbs. body wt ivermectin since she was a pup. She had her last negative heartworm check in November. My daughters 2 labs (9 yrs. & 13 yrs.) are on the same dose with negative results. They're dosed religiously every month--no misses. Others have reported ivermectin resistance. Really wish I knew the answer. One reason I don't fully agree with the ivermectin resistance theory is that in our area, most dogs (and all coyotes) don't get heartworm protection of any kind. Seems to me that would create a 'refuge population' of susceptible worms which would delay or prevent resistance. Monsanto uses the 'refuge population' idea in their earworm resistant corn & cotton seed. I'd like for someone with more experience/education to comment on this...does my theory make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.