The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coyotes

Default coyotes

I was out walking my dogs after dark today, I back up to the National Forest here in Virginia, and heard my first pack of coyotes singing away. Watching my old SAR dog chase two bear cubs up a tree and a rattle snake on my porch wasn't enough to make me consider a gun, but I don't feel safe walking the dogs after dark now without a gun. But, I am a city girl that has moved to the country and not handy with a gun.

I know I need to get to a range and take some lessons, but any suggestions on what kind of gun/pistol I should consider? Something in pink maybe?
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Coyotes are scared to death of people and are not a threat in my part of the country....have you heard something to make you think they might attack you? Now....they WILL attack a dog especially if the dog is alone and especially if female coyotes are in heat. Is your concern more because of your dog or just a general fear of coyotes?

some more thoughts on edit:::

We have coyotes EVERYWHERE around here...I hear them in the woods across the road from my house every night....I see and hear them at all of my deer hunting spots and often they are between me and my truck as it gets dark while I'm in my deer stand. I simply climb down and walk to the truck without a care in the world....they get out of my way.

However I don't leave my pup out in the yard at night unattended....wouldn't want to risk him....and a pack of coyotes can take down a BIG domestic dog no problem.
    Last edited by archer66; 12-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.

we are eat up with yotes here in Ga. We hear them more nights than we dont. Never had a problem with them messing with my dogs, but they stay in the kennel or close to the porch. They are fawn and turkey killers though!

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    wouldn't want to risk him....and a pack of coyotes can take down a BIG domestic dog no problem.

That's just it, I don't want to risk my dogs just to take them on a walk after dark. Hence, my questions about what gun/pistol I should carry.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

No one firearm suits all circumstances, check out The Judge, revolver that handles .410 and .45, kicks like a mule with .410 but very effective at close range, just don't shoot your own dogs. Go to the gun range and practice, practice, practice!

They are everywhere here in Northern California, too. I walk my two goldens in cow pastures and wild life areas and see them often. They are well fed with rabbits and birds and rats and mice. If you have rabbits and other rodents around, they likely wouldn't be desperate enough to attach your dogs while you are with them.

Still, doesn't hurt to have a gun. I bought a Benelli Ultra Light 20 ga shot gun. It is lighter than most shotguns and has less recoil than a 12 ga. Don't think they come in pink, though

Being a sound sleeper and partially deaf I rarely hear them when I am sleeping during the night. Cleo, on the other hand, is a light sleeper and can hear everything that goes on around the house at night. I am made aware that something has disturbed her sleep when she steps out on the back porch and lets a round go from her 870 12 guage. Then the only sound we may hear is the phone ringing, "Cleo, what the Hell are you shooting at?" from our next door neighbor (1/4 mile away). Thankfully we have strange neighbors who are a whole lot like us. The coyotes shut up or leave, but it gets quiet once again. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    Being a sound sleeper and partially deaf I rarely hear them when I am sleeping during the night. Cleo, on the other hand, is a light sleeper and can hear everything that goes on around the house at night. I am made aware that something has disturbed her sleep when she steps out on the back porch and lets a round go from her 870 12 guage. Then the only sound we may hear is the phone ringing, "Cleo, what the Hell are you shooting at?" from our next door neighbor (1/4 mile away). Thankfully we have strange neighbors who are a whole lot like us. The coyotes shut up or leave, but it gets quiet once again. Bill

I thought Cleo was a dog until she started shooting......

Banned

We have lots of them around here. I don't like them. They will think nothing of luring a dog off and killing it.

Everyone always says they will leave people alone. Around here they are pretty bold and will stand and look at you.

Oh yeah, and a pack of coyotes killed that folk singer in Canada last year.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-10-29/e...?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

WRL

I prefer a .44 Mag. I don't like to chase cripples.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth