The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: coyotes

Good friend of mine had a 6 month old GSP killed by 3 coyotes on one of the local city trails in downtown Anchorage. They will kill dogs and they do become use to people. Not all are afraid of humans. I would not be parnoid but I would be aware. Duckdon

Go to your local gun shop and try a few different guns out. Feel them out. What fits better in your hand? Glock is getting pretty standard these days and they are one of the more affordable semi autos on the market. The new gen 4 model also come with 3 different backs traps designed for small medium and large hands. If you have smaller hands and are not sold on a full size model look into one of their compact or sub compact models. I carry a glock 22 on duty and love it. I've had very few times when it didn't do what it was suppose to do while shooting it. But most important thing is after you get it is to shoot it and shoot it frequently. A gun is no good if you aren't proficient with it. Don't just stand and shoot at targets either. If you can move side to side while shooting at the target and walk your angles. Odds are if you have to use it you aren't going to be standing still while trying to shoot the yote and neither is the yote. Also practice drawing it out of the holster from where you are going to be carrying it.
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"

K,

Your really need to come down and visit. Between us and the neighbor, we can figure out what you need and get you started! My neighbor is the handgun expert and is a patient teacher.

If you're looking for light, easy to use shot gun that doesn't have much kick to carry with you, I've used the Beretta 391 Urika 2 20ga, youth gun. The guys on the forum may laugh, but you're needing an easy to use gun, that makes some noise.....I don't think you're going to turn into the hunting queen.

Just don't tell anyone you've got a youth gun! You could shoot some small animals off your porch! We need to go shoot clays...

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

No one firearm suits all circumstances, check out The Judge, revolver that handles .410 and .45, kicks like a mule with .410 but very effective at close range, just don't shoot your own dogs. Go to the gun range and practice, practice, practice!

I like it!!!!!!!

Odds of you shooting a running yote with a pistol at any kind of range are not good. You are just as likely to shoot your dogs. I suggest a MINI-14 with a red dot

pepper spray and an air horn might be your best bet.
    Gavin B.

Fox Pro, a big light with red cover, 6.5, and a six pack! Some of the most fun any red neck ever had!!!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    We have lots of them around here. I don't like them. They will think nothing of luring a dog off and killing it.

Everyone always says they will leave people alone. Around here they are pretty bold and will stand and look at you.

Oh yeah, and a pack of coyotes killed that folk singer in Canada last year.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-10-29/e...?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

WRL

X2 here. Bold is an understatement once they get packed up for the season. Have heard of more than one dog getting into it with coyotes including one of my families labs. The dog was backed up against the door and couldn't get out or let him in, had to run through the house and out the front door. Also have a cousin that has a Pitt/Rott mix that got jumped by a pack of coyotes in his own yard. . I just got done talking a buddy of mine that walks his dogs in town and he came upon a young female pup playing, jumping around and having a grand old time. HE said he shined his light on her and in the background in the shadows were 8 pairs of glowing eyes. That is just a couple of examples of what I have heard and or seen happen around these parts.

On another note, I have an old trapper friend that said years ago that pure coyotes are extremely hard to find around here. Most are coydogs anymore which inturn downgrades their pelt prices.

To the OP, my suggestion for someone who isn't familiar with firearms or hasn't had much experience. Get a shotgun.
    Last edited by RJW; 12-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    Fox Pro, a big light with red cover, 6.5, and a six pack! Some of the most fun any red neck ever had!!!

LOL, true indeed. Riverrats enjoy it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    To the OP, my suggestion for someone who isn't familiar with firearms or hasn't had much experience. Get a shotgun.
    20 ga if you're small. Big recoil will "train" you to miss. (a .44 Mag will break your arm...) Be careful not to shoot your dogs.

====

I hear the coyotes a lot, but last night there were several very close to the house when I started to the kennel with the dogs. I brought the dogs back in and went out with a light to run them off. I saw one pair of eyes over 200 yds away by then. They found something to eat. Today I'll have to look around and see if a deer has crawled on my place and died (its deer season). Maybe they were just bunny hunting.

I like 'em, but only at a LONG distance.

The first number in the caliber should be at least 4 with the second number preferably 4 or higher.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk