RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

coyotes

9K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  ad18 
#1 ·
I was out walking my dogs after dark today, I back up to the National Forest here in Virginia, and heard my first pack of coyotes singing away. Watching my old SAR dog chase two bear cubs up a tree and a rattle snake on my porch wasn't enough to make me consider a gun, but I don't feel safe walking the dogs after dark now without a gun. But, I am a city girl that has moved to the country and not handy with a gun.

I know I need to get to a range and take some lessons, but any suggestions on what kind of gun/pistol I should consider? Something in pink maybe? ;-)

#39 · (Edited)
It is my impression that the OP in not out to hunt coyotes, just protect her dogs from them. If that is the case, I certainly wouldn't be recommending any kind of handgun. Way too much risk of accidentally shooting her own dogs, some other person, or even herself. Rifles also take too much skill and with their great range pose a great risk to surrounding areas. A nice, lightweight 20 gauge loaded with #4 buck should fill the bill nicely IF she shoots before the fight, if she waits until the dogs engage the coyotes her best recourse is going to be bear spray and a big stick. I would echo the advice about not letting the dogs get more than twenty or thirty yards away, and certainly not out of sight. In my area, I worry more about Javelinas which can really tear a dog up.

Apparently coyote behavior varies greatly depending on where you are. I have tried for years to get decent photos of one. We call, set out bait, sit at waterholes for hours on end, and I have only had about four coyotes come close enough to get even a half decent photo. They are very wary and will usually bolt at the slightest sign of anything they find suspicious. Would really have loved to have been there for the one mousing. That would have been some great photos!!

#40 ·
I am pretty good on the range with several handguns. But I know for sure that if a coyote made a sudden appearance and was near one of my dogs, I would not chance shooting. My way of dealing with it is to keep our walks to daylight, never out of sight, train them so that here means here, and when they go out in our back yard at night, turn on the outside lights, keep my eyes on the dog the entire time, and come right back in or to the kennel. Our neighbor has two cats. He had a coyote look in his living room window one morning a few weeks back and I frequently hear the pack calling at night. So far, none have approached me or my dogs.

#42 ·
The other option I use when its completely dark is to carry my training/starter pistol. Soon as I hear them fire off a couple of blanks. Must do some good as usually a couple of minutes later will hear them calling each other to regroup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.