The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do ?

Default What would you do ?

I was watching the TV program What would you do and thought of a issue that happened today

I went pheasant hunting at a spot where a couple of guys are always hunting

This one guy has a young golden. Anyway I was hunting by myself and I saw a pheasant sitting in the grass right next to a cattle trail. I saw this golden heading down this trail , I called my dog to heel, I figured the golden would flush the bird and I'd shoot if for her, plus make my dog honor. The golden saw the pheasant and kept heading for the guys truck. After the dog went by I released my dog and shot the pheasant. I ran into this guy and told him what happened and that his dog was headed to the truck the last time I saw him.

We walked back to the outfits together and when he got to his truck the dog was waiting on him. He opened the door and came out with a belt and grabbed the dog and started saying" bad dog" and whipping this dog.

What would you have done ?
    Last edited by 43x; 12-13-2012 at 09:46 PM.

I would have made an offer to buy his dog - it needed to be saved from his owner. I try to keep a few $20's on hand for ARCO gas emergencies.

Debbie

He would be without his dog tonight and be trying to watch tv through a steak. UNEXCEPTABLE
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Welllll....that's a tough one....ok....no it's not. I'd have suggested to that guy that the dog didn't deserve a beating for not knowing what he was supposed to do.

What did you do? I definitely would've yelled at the guy out of gut reaction. Not sure what would have come of that. Maybe Debbie has the best approach. Would have confronted him for sure to make it stop. It's scary to think about having a confrontation with a guy when both of you have guns.

Beat the guy with my belt pretty good, then asked him if he was confused as to why in the world I was beating him with a belt. When he agreed he was confused, then I would tell him good, because your dog is too.
    -Barton Ramsey

I suppose you could calmly explain to him that everything happens for a reason. So then, when I cuff you up side your head, I had a reason. Really, what could you do aside from starting a fight with the guy? Might ask him why he reacted that way toward his dog? Maybe turn it into a teaching thing but I bet nothing you could do would make it better. Duckdon

Ya just have to stay calm and stop the madness!
    What works well ,at least for me, is just take off all your clothes.
    It stops most tuff guys like all a you, dead in their tracks!
    In most cases,If ya drive with no pants on,it will get you out of most tickets too, cause the Cop donts want ya to step outa the car and put yer hands over the hood, when you is de- dressed like that.

Works every time.

before ya start swinging fists, just take the time to think, then do the unexpected.
    Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I certainly would have said something!!! Surprising he would hit his dog like that? and sad? Maybe take the licence plate number and report him as well to the authorities?
    What would have been better is if you two started discussing what is the best way to teach this dog not to go by a pheasant but to flush it out, rather than beat the dog. I guess not-very sad!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I certainly would have said something!!! Surprising he would hit his dog like that? and sad? Maybe take the licence plate number and report him as well to the authorities?
    What would have been better is if you two started discussing what is the best way to teach this dog not to go by a pheasant but to flush it out, rather than beat the dog. I guess not-very sad!!
    The guy was pizzed that his dog took off on him. I was totally shocked and stunned, when all this went down