The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: not growing?

Default not growing?

so my 9 month old CLM seems to have stopped growing. Just wondering what average size for a 9 month old is? i've seen bigger pups that have turned out what i seem to think is normal size in adulthood. right now he stands at 24" at the front foot and 26" at the back foot 44" from base of the tail to the nose (this is rough estimate with the tape measure) and 19.5" neck. he is between 70-75lbs and been this for about month and half. his sire was 85 lbs and mother 75. food wise he was on Eukanuba large breed puppy following the feeding table on the back till he was 6 months old then we switched to Victor Hi-Pro Plus 30/20 for working dogs and puppies following feeding guide on there (3.5 cups/day).

here is a pic of him

photo-1.jpg

and his father

5378155.jpg

of course i dont want a giant of a dog but just hoping he gets a little more size on him
    Attached Images Attached Images

His frame probably won't get much bigger. but he will spend the next year and a half filling out a bit.

Ditto what Justin said, I could see him adding five to ten pounds in the next year. I know Chessies are a little bit bigger breed, but 80 pounds is a nice size field dog. My best Golden weighed 63 pounds his whole working career at 14 1/2 he weighs about 65, his nephew Gus is about 74 pounds and Gus's five month old son Muddy is only 38.

Banned

Normally the growth plates close at 12-15 months of age. From that point on, they don't get much taller and start to put on weight.

I would bet your boy will get a bit taller. If he is 70-75 now, he'll probably be another 5 pounds heavier by then and after he achieves his maximum height, will probably pack on another 10 lbs + or -.

So you are probably looking at 85 lbs or maybe more at maturity (approx 3 years of age).

WRL

yea i dont mind the weight just wanting more to his height and length i know he went through a real growth spurt from 5-7 months old and then it slowed down. that bar stool behind him is 2 feet tall just for size comparison

knowing his dimensions is he a little on the heavy side? we have noticed in the last month or so that hes getting a little bulky around the neck (looks like a buck in rut) and my wife thinks he has a big butt (you know somethings up when the pregnant lady says something) we cut down his food from 3.5 to 3 the last 2 weeks. he is not hunting this year and with day light savings time cutting in on our training hes not getting to burn as many calories as he used to.

on a side note his "boys" have been down for past 2.5-3 months but they dont look adult like if you will. not enough for him to start lifting his leg at least. hes still a squatter. so im guessing he still has a little maturing to do
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 12-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.

See how 'bumpy' his wrists look? Compare that to how 'smooth' his sire's look. That is a rough visual guide that he has some more height to grow. When the wrists start to look smooth, that's roughly equivalent to his growth plates closing and means he's at peak height, and then will fill out/bulk up over the next year or so after that.

As for judging his body condition- use your hand to feel over his ribcage. You should easily be able to feel his ribs. If you have trouble feeling his ribs, then' he's too plump.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I liked the wrist comment, nice tidbit to know. He looks good, just a little adolescent in the face (remember your freshmen pictures?) he looks healthy and i second his filling out over the next few months.My girl is 8 months and just now is starting to mature in the face from the skinny 'babyface'
    At the end of he day, only thing you can control is maintaining a healthy weight....heights already been determined.
    Good luck.
    Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)