The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticuit

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Or maybe part of it is how we as a country have decided that locking up the mentally ill is no longer acceptable. From what I've been hearing he should have been locked up in Fairfield Hills years age. Oh yeah, nevermind, the nuthouse was closed.
    You obviously have never dealt with having a family member or acquaintance in an institution or you wouldnt be so cavalier with your terminology...the "nuthouse" as you call it, is not a pretty place,I hope you never have to deal with a place like it, or at least educate yourself on the types of mental illnesses of the people that are there
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The call wasn't that we should enforce regulation but that it should in fact be regulated. It already is. It is no different than when people say we need to regulate machine guns....they already are is my point. As for your second question I get carded more often for video games than I do when I buy alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    You obviously have never dealt with having a family member or acquaintance in an institution or you wouldnt be so cavalier with your terminology...the "nuthouse" as you call it, is not a pretty place,I hope you never have to deal with a place like it, or at least educate yourself on the types of mental illnesses of the people that are there
    Well look at it this way. If he had been locked up in Fairfield Hills (which is although now closed in Newtown CT) 26 inocent people including 20 1st graders in Newtown,CT would stiil be alive.
    There are people who while they may not have yet committed a crime should truly not be walking the streets. I happen to exactly what Fairfiled Hills was and that is exactly where he belonged.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Some of the video games that people (some) let their kids play are seriously evil, I can't believe they aren't causing brain damage... They are not allowed in this house. We don't watch violence on our TV at home either, period. OK, I'm known to sneak in a little Goodfellas or something like that once in awhile. I told my wife long ago that our society is seriously F'ed up. We worry about a wardrobe malfunction a lot more than the kids watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Completely backward.

And then there is the ED medication ads on TV and radio. Really neat riding in my truck with a 13 year old daughter and hearing an ad on the radio - "look down, shocking." WTH??? I shouldn't have to deal with that.
    SHOCKING Buzz, we agree!!!!

Feels good doesn't it???

And I called for no legislation on games.
    They are simply over the top in their depiction of graphic violence.
    The small amount of fighting I saw left an indelible mark on my soul, FOREVER!!!!

I think about what I saw happen every day.
    The a some here that can support that.

Watching it displayed every day certainly has an impact, that is undeniable.................
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Or maybe part of it is how we as a country have decided that locking up the mentally ill is no longer acceptable. From what I've been hearing he should have been locked up in Fairfield Hills years age. Oh yeah, nevermind, the nuthouse was closed.
    I would echo Bon's statement. I worked as a number years as a social worker for people with mental disabilities and illnesses. It may surprise you but the level of violence among people with mental illness isn't any more prevalent among that population than the general population.

The system of state run mental sanitariums did not have a good reputation for treating their patients. Some of them were pretty nasty places with poorly trained staff and doctors.

Individuals that might commit this kind of crime are often hard to detect ahead of time. As of now, there is now no functional way of preventing someone like these mass shooters in effect.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 12-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I would echo Bon's statement. I worked as a number years as a social worker for people with mental disabilities and illnesses. It may surprise you but the level of violence among people with mental illness isn't any more prevalent among that population than the general population.

The system of state run mental sanitariums did not have a good reputation for treating their patients. Some of them were pretty nasty places with poorly trained staff and doctors.

Individuals that might commit this kind of crime are often hard to detect ahead of time. As of now, there is now no functional way of preventing someone like these mass shooters in effect.
    I would disagree with you - I believe concealed carry would be an effective deterrent - but I would agree with you that these folks would be hard to detect ahead of time - did his parents even know?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post

I never said everyone with a mental illness or disabilty should be locked up. I did say that there are certain people that should be whether for the safety of the public at large or their own.

They don't lockup the mentally ill. They get stabilized and sent of their way. Only the most serve of cases have extended stay. As has been mentioned, it is almost impossible to determine what they might do.

More Conceal Carry by law abiding citizens and no more Gun Free Zones is the best solution I've heard so far.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

This guy should have been on the extended stay plan!

Just like the wacko in AZ that shot the congresswoman and all the others... Lots of people knew he was a fruitcake, including his parent and the univerisity. No one did anything.
    Bill Davis