The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticuit

Just a few thoughts. In Oklahoma it is very difficult to get a crazy person commited as needed. I personally know of two women ( one in OK the other in another state ) who have been put on meds for their bad mental problems. Both hate taking their meds and quit taking them often. I don't see any easy solution for that problem. Another little problem is when you get things all lined out that the mentally ill person can fire the agency who takes care of them. Seen that one first hand. As a relative of a retarded person I can tell you it is heart breaking tryng to get the CORRECT kind of help. Well meaning people can wreck a whole lot of things. Then there are the people who refuse to admit that their family member does need help. There are no good answers as far as I can see. More than one side to this problem. I would not wish for anyone to get caught in the maze that is our current system.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Anyone else wish the news people would get their "facts" straight before publishing/announcing them? The amount of erroneous and contradictory information regarding the shooting, not only as it was happening but now, two days later is extraordinary! First the shooter had an AK submachine gun, then that changed to two handguns with a rifle in the car, now the handguns seem to be taken out of the picture and the 233 rifle (they say that it was an assault rifle) was used for all of the deaths.

Makes you wonder what is "real" and what has/is fabricated for ratings, shock value, and what is just plain poor reporting!!!

No kidding, the media (Fox news included) couldnt wait to announce that he used a Glock, a Sig Sauer, and a Bushmaster 223.....I even heard one reporter use the description that the AR style weapon was "THE most powerful weapon in the world"...as if those brand name guns were something very evil

Its almost ghoulish how the media is salivating at covering this tragic event, even in a 24/7 news cycle it is non stop...war could break out in a part of the world and it wont bump this story off the news
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    No kidding, the media (Fox news included) couldnt wait to announce that he used a Glock, a Sig Sauer, and a Bushmaster 223.....I even heard one reporter use the description that the AR style weapon was "THE most powerful weapon in the world"...as if those brand name guns were something very evil

Its almost ghoulish how the media is salivating at covering this tragic event, even in a 24/7 news cycle it is non stop...war could break out in a part of the world and it wont bump this story off the news
    I have read on a few sources that he did not use the bushmaster, it was left in the car.

The Huffington Post reports he "Blasted his way in with a high powered rifle."

When did a .223 calber become "high powered?"

Is that literary license to sensationalize a point to the unknowing?
    Stan b & Elvis

And to continue to replay the death and mornings ,,,over and over and over again manipulate the emotions of the american people. Lets just keep injecting the agony over and over. GUNS DO THIS,,,, I wonder if, some part Obama's executive orders can be implemented to rectify this situation. he kinda made reference to the presidents power to intercede in these situations in his speech in conneticut,,,,
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I have read on a few sources that he did not use the bushmaster, it was left in the car.

The Huffington Post reports he "Blasted his way in with a high powered rifle."

When did a .223 calber become "high powered?"

Is that literary license to sensationalize a point to the unknowing?
    I listened to Howard Dean on CNN Business Squawk Box rant and rail how SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifles could spray bullets all over the place just by pulling the trigger. Some guy tried to correct him by saying that only one bullet was fired each time you pulled the trigger. Dean was having none of it and kept yelling how he knew what he was talking about. Go figure.

The shooter shot out the front glass. I wonder why they didnt have a laminate on it. When my daughter bought her house the first thing we did was bullet proof all her windows . It wont stop them but it will slow them down, allowing more time for the cops to get there.
    http://www.acesecuritylaminates.com/
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I always try and correct people on the idea of a few things the media gets wrong. Not saying anyone here said these things but they are often said and thought to be correct. They are just pet peeves of mine.
    1st. Automatic weapons are not illegal.
    2nd. An AR15 and a M16 are not automatic weapons. (M16 does have a burst feature though, still not full auto, except an original A1 first run)
    3rd. A standard Glock 27,19 etc is not full auto nor isra paperwork. it an assault weapon regardless of magazine size.
    4th. A revolver is a semi automatic weapon...
    5th. Semi automatic means 1 trigger pull shoots 1 bullet, as opposed to full auto that shoots many bullets if you "hold" down the trigger.
    6th. Stealing a weapon that was obtained legally is theft and the weapon was then considered not to be obtained legally.
    7th. My last point, gun free buildings only work on honest people with no hostile intent.

On a side note, a concealed weapon should never be seen, therefore there is never a worry about getting caught with it where you aren't allowed to.
    I am sure if someone brought a gun into a gun free zone and happened to stop a shooter the charges would be filed as soon as possible.......

Assault weapons have a very strict set of rules to be considered as such, remove 1 item and they are just a rifle with standard buying procedures. Buying an AR15 chambered in .22lr is just like buying a Mossberg .22lr. .223 in centerfire would make one of mine into an assault rifle and extra paper work. Words mean things and I wish reporters knew the meaning before they used them.
    Last edited by Jason Glavich; 12-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

My Browning .22lr auto rifle is considered to be an Assault weapon.

It has the capability of holding 11 rounds from the factory.
    1 in the Chamber ,,, 10 in the magazine.
    It will fire a round each time you pulll the trigger..

It also "breaks down" and Packs very nicely!
    It can go in a case that is smaller than a Pool cue case.

The design has been the same for decades.

They load through a hole in the stock..

Kids have "Plinked" with them for years.

Large capacity magazine regards:

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    My Browning .22lr auto rifle is considered to be an Assault weapon.

Gooser
    I have one of those - older than you are probably - 1962 - $70 included 5 boxes of shells - great little plinking gun - used by ranges as very durable - mint condition - don't plink much anymore . Also does shorts & longs - holds a bundle of the little guys

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Marvin

Your gun is a baby compared to me!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"