The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticuit

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Does anyone ever wonder if the violence presented as common place thru the various media is at all culpable for the mindset of some of these people?

"The Walking Dead" is one of the top rated shows on TV right now.
    Probably 20 to 50 "zombies" get their brains blown out per show.
    Any of you looked at any of the video games kids are playing today??

How about some restriction on these vehicles depicting bloody, viscious violence as entertainment?

Just a thought.

More after me and Elvis whack some birds........oh, the delicious irony there!
    I think you are right on there, Stan. We as a culture love to see the portrayal of violence. The entertainment industry knows how to cater to it.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Have you ever watched these xbox games? you are the one with the gun, you do the shooting, all they do is sit all day and kill people. No wonder their mind snaps .
    Last edited by gmhr1; 12-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Does anyone ever wonder if the violence presented as common place thru the various media is at all culpable for the mindset of some of these people?

"The Walking Dead" is one of the top rated shows on TV right now.
    Probably 20 to 50 "zombies" get their brains blown out per show.
    Any of you looked at any of the video games kids are playing today??

How about some restriction on these vehicles depicting bloody, viscious violence as entertainment?

Just a thought.

More after me and Elvis whack some birds........oh, the delicious irony there!
    The video games have troubled me for a long time. We refuse to by them for our grandkids for many reasons, including the affects some of the games may have on their perception of reality.

I am surely not a psychiatrist, and not even a practicing psychologist, but it IS my degree and I am aware of some of the earlier research into the topic. Some conclude there is no connection between violence in society and video games ... others disagree. I am SOUNDLY of the opinion that the desensitization, the competitive rush, and the addictive nature of some of these games leaves a definite impression on some minds. It does not show outwardly because it is not a conscious perception ... just a part of the conditioning of growing up. How many times after one of these incidents, are the ensuing comments something like, "What a shock. He always seemed like a normal kid".

One of the biggest problems is that it is no longer just kids ... it now includes the parents. A good many 30-somethings are addicted ... from THEIR childhood ... to these things too and see nothing potentially harmful in their impressionable young kids becoming addicted to them.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I am so sick of clearly disturbed people perpetuating these spectacular killings. I hate to say it, but my first thought was, "great, more ammo for the anti gun fanatics". Anyone here conversant with the gun laws in Ct? Is it a "may issue" or "must issue" state, or is CC banned entirely?
    Agreed this is horrible and tragic. However, it is the perfect opportunity for the politicians and the government as a hole to steel to more and more of our liberties.
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 12-15-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Uhhhh, and who is buying the x-boxes, games, paying for the cable and satellite dishes, not setting boundaries, not involving their children in sports, church, or family functions? Really think that it is the kids' fault? If guns don't kill people, I really don't think that zombies kill them either....except for on t.v. If you haven't taught your child the difference between reality and fiction, right and wrong, and that doing wrong means serious and consistent repercussions and punishment, then I really don't think that we can blame ANYTHING other than ourselves.
    Society today seems to think that children are more than a blessing, that they should be coddled, waited upon, spoon fed, pampered, and spoiled. That we as parents should be lenient with criticism and lavish with unearned praise. That everyone is a "winner" and deserves a prize. That it is a God given right for kids to get what they want, when they want it. That in order for us as parents to get the kid to like us, that we should grovel at their feet and try to buy their affection. We are told to "be their friend" so that they will confide in us when something is bothering them. Yeah. That really works! Kids choose their friends, and trust me, it isn't going to be someone 20+ yrs older- no true friend anyway, and those are the ones that they confide in.
    Kids now a days are mentally stunted and unprepared with the reality of having to care for themselves when they graduate high school. They don't have a clue as far as being responsible with paying bills, saving money, EARNING money, buying their own clothing, washing it, eating properly, thinking ahead and making attainable goals for the future. They live in the NOW, and when that stops working for them, they either run back to mommy and daddy for emotional, monetary, and physical support, or they crash under the pressure of outsiders telling them that they are the losers that they are. Because that is exactly what the kids in their late teens and early to mid twenties are now a days. LOSERS. Harsh? Yes. If you cannot function within society on a basic level, then that is what you are.
    So, congratulations to the folks producing these losers of society. You have really "paid it forward" with how you have created the monsters that are plaguing society today as they kill other children that seem to be "happier" than they feel.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Stand in line at a walmart especially at this time of the year and look at the video games they are buying. Thank God I only had one child and she is all grown up, I would not want to raise her in these times. Parents today do not have time for their kids its easier to sit them in front of a tv or a video game and let them do what they want. I dont see parents being parents they all want to be their "friend"
    Last edited by gmhr1; 12-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

There are three kinds of people in this world: sheep, wolves, and sheep dogs." We all need to be those sheep dogs watching over each other.

Violence in video games...no one remembers Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy duck in the beak ? Dont use excuses like video games as a crutch for bad parenting. If the parents are to lazy to instill proper ethics and COMMON SENSE in their kids then they are surely to lazy to take the time to understand that it is their responsibility to shape and mold our youth into upstanding citizens.

Some people ,just like dogs should not reproduce, bad breedings = unstable offspring. Humans are not special in mother nature,we are just to self-centered to admit that we are not perfect.

Before modern day safety training/equipment was being used,if someone did not have common sense and good judgement they were likely to not make it to breeding age, survival of the fittest is no longer, due to the "advancement "in keeping everyone safe.

As I typed the above my 9 year old son was getting his things ready to go to Grandpa's house for the day but was caring his video game with him and not focusing on the task of getting his things ready... he lost his privileges until 2013,yes even with yesterdays tragedy all I want to due is hug and protect my children ,but I have a full time responsibility to be a parent even if that means temporarily upsetting him.

Video games ,guns ,car's, all objects that we as humans have created,then when these objects are used for evil we want to blame the object...remember ,when you are pointing your finger at someone/thing else there are 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

And piss on every politicial who uses this as a "tool" for anti-gun control.

God bless the children /adults who lost their lives yesterday.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Uhhhh, and who is buying the x-boxes, games, paying for the cable and satellite dishes, not setting boundaries, not involving their children in sports, church, or family functions? Really think that it is the kids' fault? If guns don't kill people, I really don't think that zombies kill them either....except for on t.v. If you haven't taught your child the difference between reality and fiction, right and wrong, and that doing wrong means serious and consistent repercussions and punishment, then I really don't think that we can blame ANYTHING other than ourselves.
    Society today seems to think that children are more than a blessing, that they should be coddled, waited upon, spoon fed, pampered, and spoiled. That we as parents should be lenient with criticism and lavish with unearned praise. That everyone is a "winner" and deserves a prize. That it is a God given right for kids to get what they want, when they want it. That in order for us as parents to get the kid to like us, that we should grovel at their feet and try to buy their affection. We are told to "be their friend" so that they will confide in us when something is bothering them. Yeah. That really works! Kids choose their friends, and trust me, it isn't going to be someone 20+ yrs older- no true friend anyway, and those are the ones that they confide in.
    Kids now a days are mentally stunted and unprepared with the reality of having to care for themselves when they graduate high school. They don't have a clue as far as being responsible with paying bills, saving money, EARNING money, buying their own clothing, washing it, eating properly, thinking ahead and making attainable goals for the future. They live in the NOW, and when that stops working for them, they either run back to mommy and daddy for emotional, monetary, and physical support, or they crash under the pressure of outsiders telling them that they are the losers that they are. Because that is exactly what the kids in their late teens and early to mid twenties are now a days. LOSERS. Harsh? Yes. If you cannot function within society on a basic level, then that is what you are.
    So, congratulations to the folks producing these losers of society. You have really "paid it forward" with how you have created the monsters that are plaguing society today as they kill other children that seem to be "happier" than they feel.
    I didn't intend to start a rant. Although you make some broad generalizations, I agree with most of what I think you are trying to say.

The fact remains that IF you accept the premise that some of these games may have a dangerous impact on some people, and IF we (parents and society in general) fail to police ourselves, then censorship WILL be at least part of the solution. Some restrictions already exist but not strict enough, IMO.

Sadly, I believe this same fact of life applies gun control. As Buzz remarked, every time one of these incidents happens, the frustration mounts and the idea of controlling guns gains a little more credibility with more and more citizens. And citizens put pressure on legislators. Effective or not, it is inevitable.

I don't believe there is a conceivable gun law that could possibly prevent all the gun violence. There are probably some crimes of passion that may have not occurred, had not a gun been lying close at hand. But criminals will always be able to find a gun.

Registration MAY aid the cops in tracking down a murderer after the fact, and for that reason MAY be worth a try. But it would do nothing in the way of prevention.

Nor do I believe tougher punishment would make much difference. Criminals don't plan on getting caught.

No single answer and no single solution.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

... at the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post

Violence in video games...no one remembers Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy duck in the beak ?

Not at all the same. It's interactive. Think about it.

JS

... at the bridge

Cocaine and heroin are illegal , we all see how that has worked out...
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "