The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Breeding Question

Default Breeding Question

I have a two y/o YLM (fox red) that I am interested in breeding. I had found a female I was interested in, but when I checked her pedigree it shows that her paternal grandsire and my dogs maternal grandsire are the same dog. The breeder told me that this was considered a "line breeding " and wasn't a problem and was actually quite common for breeding a desirable trait, like pointing or fox red. Any advise from experienced breeders would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses, Bob

So, are you thinking of purchasing this girl? Leasing her for breeding? Is she a puppy? Adult? Titles? Health Clearances?

Line breeding is not good or bad in and of itself. Have you done a test breeding to see what the coi of in breeding would be?

My question for you is what are you trying to accomplish with this breeding? What is the "desireable trait" that the grandsire has that you are trying to reproduce in these puppies. If you don't know then I would suggest that you are not ready to try your hand at linebreeding.

BTW, we have been breeding for 5 years and I have not yet done an actual line breeding.