The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Ruff Tuff Kennel ?

Default Ruff Tuff Kennel ?

I have a size large. What are you using for a mat/pad in it? I like to pad my crates because I think it is just more comfortable for the dog. It is winter here and any added insulation is a big plus. I am looking for something that fills the bottom and does not asorb water.
    Any ideas would be a help, Thanks.

Do NOT put carpet scraps in there unless your are absolutely certain they are not monofilament. If the dog chews monofilament nylon it will unravel in the bowel and likely cause dozens of cuts and an agonizing death.

My Ruff Tuff's in the van are bare - except at night if they sleep in the van in cold temperatures. Then I put cotton towel in the bottom.

My outdoor kennels have a 4X4X4 ft concrete cube with an insulated lid. Inside the concrete cube in winter is a shipping crate (not Ruff Tuff's there - they sometimes get chewed). Inside that is cedar shavings (or CLEAN straw, the best if I can get it. Moldy straw won't do... and straw attracts mice.)

Both Avery and Muddy River make crate pads that fit in a large Ruff Tuff and neither one readily absorb water. I have to give Avery a slight edge if you have a dog that isn't destructive because the cover has a Velcro seam so you can take it off and wash it. If your dog likes to scratch or chew on his bed any, you'd be better off with the Muddy River.

There you go, both my pennies worth.
    Chris Pennington

I have used the mud river kennel mats and they wouldnt stand up to the cold, the dogs would wad them up and they would crack. Now I just get army surplus wool blankets cut them in half and put them in the kennels.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Check out wash mats at the local feed store.