The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Here It Comes. Hide Your Guns!

It's a sweeping and incorrect generalization to say that advocates of gun legislation are anti-hunting. I am a big proponent of hunting AND in favor of reasonable legislation. There have been several news reports about the friction (before the school shooting) between some of the hunters in the Newtown and the assault weapons crowd that many people in Newtown felt were taking over the countryside.

Here in Washington State, bird hunters can't use a shotgun that holds more than 3 rounds. Why do the shooters of these assault weapons need clips that hold 30 rounds?

The NRA has really pushed the "camel's nose under the tent argument", i.e., that ANY regulation will lead to a complete ban on guns. By that reasoning, traffic laws and license requirements would lead to a ban on driving cars. Similarly, the NRA argues that, if there are guns laws, only law-abiding citizens wil obey them. There are plenty of people that drive without a license. Does that mean that driver's licenses are worthless and we should forget about them?

Neither pro-gun or anti-gun. Pro-reason, regards.
    Last edited by PalouseDogs; 12-17-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

And it is a sweeping generalization to say the 2nd amendment has anything to do with hunting.

And there are more traffic deaths than gun related deaths. Why do those drvers need cars that can go 100mph?

And ALL of the 23,000 laws on the books thus far has been "reasonable" legislation. Yet the problem still exists. What "reasonable" things would you have in the 23,001st law that would have made a difference in Connecticut?

School Shootings happen b/c the Government gets in the way(via reasonable legislation) of Responsible Adults protecting their own.

I just love all the knee jerk reaction to this tragic event. The exact same day 22 children were seriously injured by a knife wielding man in China. Lets ban all knives. People intent on doing harm will do harm, the tools will just change.

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    It's a sweeping and incorrect generalization to say that advocates of gun legislation are anti-hunting. I am a big proponent of hunting AND in favor of reasonable legislation. There have been several news reports about the friction (before the school shooting) between some of the hunters in the Newtown and the assault weapons crowd that many people in Newtown felt were taking over the countryside.
    1st may I say - your response doesn't surprise me, but where is reasonable in this discussion? The goal is to prevent these events from occurring, nothing else. Knowing that there may be an unknown someone armed on the grounds would be a very likely deterrent. When I was a young man folks drove around with their weapon of choice fully visible. & I never heard about anyone killing someone else.

Here in Washington State, bird hunters can't use a shotgun that holds more than 3 rounds. Why do the shooters of these assault weapons need clips that hold 30 rounds?
    The reason for that was to discourage game hogs - in all my years hunting I have encountered one warden & had to stop him to strike up a conversation -

But there are a lot of laws in this state that the scofflaws ignore. You pay about 20% more for your insurance as the uninsured continue to drive & have accidents. But even though they are uninsured (read breaking the law), they still have full access to the courts to address any grievance they may have against you & your insurance, & many times win. AT your cost .

We are exposed regularly to the police brutality that exists on this side by what passes for MSM - in fact both the Seattle police & the King County Sheriffs are under federal oversight for Police brutality, & from what I have observed, justifiably so.

There's more but I will not belabor the point!

The NRA has really pushed the "camel's nose under the tent argument", i.e., that ANY regulation will lead to a complete ban on guns. By that reasoning, traffic laws and license requirements would lead to a ban on driving cars. Similarly, the NRA argues that, if there are guns laws, only law-abiding citizens wil obey them. There are plenty of people that drive without a license. Does that mean that driver's licenses are worthless and we should forget about them?

Neither pro-gun or anti-gun. Pro-reason, regards.
    Feinstein is from the SF area & was involved in the Harvey Milk issue, Durbin from IL, have you looked at the crime statistics from IL recently & I'm just talking about the violent crime, like losing your life. Do you honestly believe they do not have an agenda & will look out for the best interests of the country?

Your drivers license analogy says it all - reasonable people obey reasonable laws - the folks in these scenario's do not understand reasonable & never will - hence the very reasonable argument that their should be "NO GUN FREE ZONES" , were that the case, more people would be alive today, IMO.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Sorry Marvin, but the last thing I wantto see is firearms in schools carried by ad hoc gun toters. If there is to be an armed presence in a school building then it should be a licensed peace officer with specialized training in handling weapons in that environment. But, that is going to cost you some tax money.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    But, that is going to cost you some tax money.
    One I don't mind paying.....there are lots of programs we could/should end (not school related) that would off set costs. Here we have a "Dare" program in the schools.....can't say I know exactly how it works but I do know one of the officers. He is on campus much of the time......carries, and best of all, knows most if not all the students......strangers and just plain strange students. He interacts with students all day long, has quite a following on campus.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Sorry Marvin, but the last thing I wantto see is firearms in schools carried by ad hoc gun toters. If there is to be an armed presence in a school building then it should be a licensed peace officer with specialized training in handling weapons in that environment. But, that is going to cost you some tax money.
    So, train and deputize some of the folks who are already on the payroll, give them a little incentive, and voila!!

I was videotaping a school Christmas program tonight and I have to say that when I got in there with what I wouldn't previously have thought of as a bunch of sitting ducks, I was kinda hoping that a couple of the members of the audience were exercising their right to bear arms.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com