The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jr test question

Banned

Default jr test question

When the dog is delivering the bird, does it have to come to heel and sit and hold the bird or can you squat down and take the bird as it comes to you?

I always take the bird as the dog comes in on the first initial test on a new dog but after that they are expected to heel and sit and is just my preferance but you can take the bird when then come in in any jr tests.
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

The dog does not have to come to heel. Don't know about squatting down but you can lean over and grab (or catch in the air if dog starts to drop it) the bird as soon as the dog is back on the line. Don't drop it in the middle of catching it like I did, if the dog won't pick it back up you are SOL. My dog didn't have enough real bird experience.

It sure looks better if they truly deliver to hand (and heel), and you may be the butt of some jokes if you have to do the junior bird dive like me!

Do not run any tests, either UKC, AKC or NAHRA until your dog is coming to heel and delivering to hand! You are just wasting your time in the long run. Don't run any entry level tests until your dog is ready to run the next level. Of course if your only goal is a JH, SHR than go for it. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Ahhhh the ole junior swoop....yes you can snatch it as they run by...but I would advise against it. Uphold your standards...even at a test. It's not about a $3 ribbon...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    When the dog is delivering the bird, does it have to come to heel and sit and hold the bird or can you squat down and take the bird as it comes to you?
    As long as you dont pick it up from the ground, your good. I have seen some pretty nervous handlers begging their dog to pick it up and then make a diving catch to get the pass.

Banned

If I were to make a diving catch, there probably would be someone coming out to investigate the earth tremors.

AS long as you get the bird in the air before you touch the dog you are okay but to repeat earlier comment. Why do that, have the dog ready before you get to the test.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Yeah, no one here who has ever trained a dog has had a dog do unexpected things at a test. Train with a high standard but expect and be prepared for the unexpected. It's a good idea to train with some nasty, waterlogged ducks as ducks at tests look like three miles of bad road pretty quickly. Many a young dog has gotten to the water only to drop the first waterlogged bird at the shore and leave it there. Don't be caught napping if your dog's grip starts looking tentative. Be ready to take the birds. The only rule is that the dog must deliver to hand.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    Ahhhh the ole junior swoop....yes you can snatch it as they run by...but I would advise against it. Uphold your standards...even at a test. It's not about a $3 ribbon...
    We call it the junior grab... It's not pretty but it can get you a pass. REMEMBER everything you let go once, takes you TEN times longer to fix. Up to you.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!