The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best ideas...?

Default The best ideas...?

So who has the best ideas on gun control? There have been many put out there since CT.

Obviously something needs to be done.

I'll take some input for a while, then turn it into a poll. Let's give it 24 hours..
    Your input on poll questions would be welcome. Let's make this a poll by consensus rather than a poll by my political outlook.
    I'll start; Do nothing.

1. Do nothing.

2. So we have a few replies so far that seem to indicate that a well armed populace and a well armed school staff would have prevented the CT school shootings. Please make your arguements and these will be considered for choice # 2 in the forthcoming poll where any and all can express their views.
    3. All the above, but the goverment is charged with the training and implementation of all training and qualification.
    and so forth, there is no limit on suggestions..
    JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 12-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Eliminate Gun Free Zones but require reasonable advanced training to carry in said Zones -

The Portland CCW person chose not to fire because of bystanders but the shooter knew he was there -
    A NY police group wounded several bystanders in a shootout ? so apparently civilians are responsible -

I'll let others plead their cause -

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1045544]Eliminate Gun Free Zones but require reasonable advanced training to carry in said Zones -

The Portland CCW person chose not to fire because of bystanders but the shooter knew he was there -
    A NY police group wounded several bystanders in a shootout ? so apparently civilians are responsible -

I totally agree. I also say arm teacher, and give them the correct training.

I am curious to see what others have to say on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Eliminate Gun Free Zones but require reasonable advanced training to carry in said Zones -

I'll let others plead their cause -

Completely agree! No more "Gun Free Zones"!

First off, it isn't obvious to everyone that "something has to be done". But why is it that when a mentally ill person commits an atrocity we need to have a discussion about tools rather than a discussion about mental health?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    First off, it isn't obvious to everyone that "something has to be done". But why is it that when a mentally ill person commits an atrocity we need to have a discussion about tools rather than a discussion about mental health?
    Because we have a bunch of "tools" in Washington leading the discussion...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    So who has the best ideas on gun control? There have been many put out there since CT.

Obviously something needs to be done.

I'll take some input for a while, then turn it into a poll. Let's give it 24 hours..
    Your input on poll questions would be welcome. Let's make this a poll by consensus rather than a poll by my political outlook.
    I'll start; Do nothing.

1. Do nothing.
    and so forth, there is no limit.
    JD
    It's not obvious to me.

People have been killing people since before our species evolved. Chimps (probably our nearest primate relatives) are known to commit murder. Fact is that the VAST (can't think of a word to really portray the vastness) majority of guns in the US never harm anyone. It is really not about gun control, but about people control and I'm not sure how you accomplish that as we haven't been able to eliminate crime yet.

I do think that "gun free zones" may be a mistake. I also think that some training and education should be required to get a CC permit, but not to the extent that only a very select few would qualify.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

As bad as this was, children are still safer at school than in the family car, and sad to say than in many homes. You could probably have an incident like this every month and it still wouldn't come close to the number of children killed in car wrecks or by neglectful or malicious parents.

In the United States, an average of 6 children 0-14 years old were killed and 694 were injured every day in motor vehicle crashes during 2003.

Thats 180/month. You would have to have 243/month during the school year to equal what cars alone do.
    Last edited by HPL; 12-17-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunting84 View Post
    I totally agree. I also say arm teacher, and give them the correct training.

I am curious to see what others have to say on the issue.

I know a lot of teachers - they reflect a cross section of the populace - some are mental cases in & of themselves - so my thought would be more along the lines of those willing & able to pass muster including routine visitors - I personally believe the surprise element of not knowing where the push back will initiate is a prime deterrent - There are no secrets in a school system .

Matt - I will not disagree that mental health is an issue within this issue, but that discussion could take forever - my only interest is boots on the ground ASAP. The children deserve that much. Marvin

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

So much time and words are spent here on PP criticizing teachers, yet now we want them to not only teach but to be armed guards as well. We voice oppostion to the Dept of Ed., but maybe now their role becomes clear..They are to become the guards for our children that we are unwilling to be ourselves.
    We don't want to fund health care, including mental health care. Sometimes we reap what we sow. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift