The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heeling too close...

Thanks everyone for the tips. This gives me some ideas to run with

All you need is a Pin brush. Attach it to your leg using large rubber bands. Everytime the dog gets too close it will get an instant "poke" by the pins and will learn very quickly to stay off your leg. This is an old obedience trick used by Judy Howard a very well known obedience guru. I have used it and it works!

Joyce ( Blackwater Chesapeakes)

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    All you need is a Pin brush. Attach it to your leg using large rubber bands. Everytime the dog gets too close it will get an instant "poke" by the pins and will learn very quickly to stay off your leg. This is an old obedience trick used by Judy Howard a very well known obedience guru. I have used it and it works!

Where did an idea like this come from??? Poor choice!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Try on a different shade of glasses and look at this in a different light.
    Some would consider it a major plus that you have a dog that stays in contact with your leg.
    You want this but not the heavy leaning. You also want a dog who looks out into the field.
    Except for heeling drills when do you need to make a hard left turn going to the mat? For most retriever ht and ft work the heeling game is all about aligning the dog to see something or go somewhere. Most of us could give two hoots about traditional heeling except from truck to blind to line and back.
    So learn how to communicate with this dog at the line using very slow deliberate movement the dog can feel. Rather than fight this teach him to line his spine with direction your facing. As you progress you should find less leaning. Some dogs that are bird crazy won't dare take their eyes off the guns but may place their paw on top of your foot to feel your movement.
    I would take advantage of a dog with this behavior. Not saying you should just saying there are other things to consider. Find someone in your area known for handling dogs by touch to learn more if you want.
    Last edited by Breck; 12-21-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Originally Posted by Joyce

Where did an idea like this come from??? Poor choice!
    Mary Lynn, you know this how? Have you seen it done and there was baggage, or you tried it and it didn't work, or what? Lots of tricks like this work pretty well and I'm so dumb I'd never think of them on my own.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Mary Lynn, you know this how? Have you seen it done and there was baggage, or you tried it and it didn't work, or what? Lots of tricks like this work pretty well and I'm so dumb I'd never think of them on my own.
    I would think there is a better way to approach the problem???Guess I would not think of this method either Howard? It would not be a choice I would use! Does this method really teach the dog? JMHO
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Try on a different shade of glasses and look at this in a different light.
    Some would consider it a major plus that you have a dog that stays in contact with your leg.
    You want this but not the heavy leaning. You also want a dog who looks out into the field.
    Except for heeling drills when do you need to make a hard left turn going to the mat? For most retriever ht and ft work the heeling game is all about aligning the dog to see something or go somewhere. Most of us could give two hoots about traditional heeling except from truck to blind to line and back.
    So learn how to communicate with this dog at the line using very slow deliberate movement the dog can feel. Rather than fight this teach him to line his spine with direction your facing. As you progress you should find less leaning. Some dogs that are bird crazy won't dare take their eyes off the guns but may place their paw on top of your foot to feel your movement.
    I would take advantage of a dog with this behavior. Not saying you should just saying there are other things to consider. Find someone in your area known for handling dogs by touch to learn more if you want.
    IMHO Breck has the right shade of glasses on. Take advantage of the dog's behavior and turn it to your advantage.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Yes it REALLY teaches the dog. IMOP its better than kneeing the dog in the face or stepping on their toes. But what would I know, I have Chessies so I guess I can't possibly know anything. And if you would look up Judy Howard you would know how it came about.
    Its a quick and easy method to use and like I said YES it works!

Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Yes it REALLY teaches the dog. IMOP its better than kneeing the dog in the face or stepping on their toes. But what would I know, I have Chessies so I guess I can't possibly know anything. And if you would look up Judy Howard you would know how it came about.
    Its a quick and easy method to use and like I said YES it works!

Joyce
    Joyce Sorry I have no idea who Judy Howard is. JMO I don't think this teaches a dog much. You say you have Chessies and that may make a difference. I like a more positive approach to teach. JMO. So if it works for you great! That is what it is all about and I respect that.
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Uncle Ray

Just like when you turned away from the dog when it got out of position to teach heeling; you should turn into a dog heeling too close, and away from a dog heeling out too far. Go back to the yard and work this for several days. Be sure you yank your choke chain back when turning into the dog with your heel command rather than to the side. Don't forget your turning drills and be sure to work "here" means forward and "heel" means backwards.