The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons??

School Resource Officers (SROs) are rarely, if ever, placed in elementary or middle schools. They are usually placed in high schools. In the system I work for, we had an armed gunman enter a high school and the SRO was successful in keeping the students and faculty safe. That being said, the middle school I work at does not have an SRO and the exterior doors cannot be locked during the day.

I have been thinking about what would happen if a similar situation was to occur at my school. There are 4 classrooms in one large room that are seperated by partitions without individual doors. In our lockdown drills, we have to chain the doors to this area. There is no way that I could get the hall doors chained fast enough if a gunman was to come to our area first, and we are located right next to an entrance.

The only thing that I could do is put myself between a gunman and my students.

I would like to be able to defend my students and myself without leaving my wife and children on their own in this world.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I just sent an email to my Congressman urging him to seek funding to help our state do just that. I asked him to cut funding on programs that have a lot of waste and divert them to do this. Knowing there is an armed policeman at every school would certainly be a big deterrent to these nut cases. And if they decide to try their luck, at least there would be someone there to call in back up and engage them.-Paul

Don't even have to do that. Either put cop stations in a wing of the school or somewhere on the grounds. It could serve the community and be close for quick response.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Don't even have to do that. Either put cop stations in a wing of the school or somewhere on the grounds. It could serve the community and be close for quick response.
    This wasn't a big city. There probably weren't even enough police on duty to have one in each
    school. This is an area with lots of small towns (except the city of Danbury) with generally very low crime.
    If something major happens officers from surrounding small towns respond if assistance is requested.
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 12-19-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Simple: station a cop in the school. Put several in for that matter. But put a firearm in a rookie elementary teacher's hands? I may be over generalizing but in my experience those people hate guns and want to see them sent off to the scrap yard ASAP.

I agree that a lot of teachers that I know hate guns. I'm not saying to arm those that don't want it. I also know some that are gun enthusiasts. Remove the "gun free zone" from schools. Any teacher or other school employee that already carries outside school would then be able to carry at school.

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    I agree that a lot of teachers that I know hate guns. I'm not saying to arm those that don't want it. I also know some that are gun enthusiasts. Remove the "gun free zone" from schools. Any teacher or other school employee that already carries outside school would then be able to carry at school.
    That right there is probably the most sensible way to handle things....the only thing I would add is leave it up to the school districts themselves, even up to the point of leave it up to those that have kids in those particular school...We have campus cops at most universities, we should also have them at elementary schools
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

We also have University's that allow Conceal Carry by students. Are their lives more valuable?

WELL WORTH the Listen. Very well spoken here;

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Do you put corks on your forks so you don't stab yourself in the face while eating?
    I am just not convinced that arming all the teachers with a weapon is the answer. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the odds of this happening are incredible small. Does anyone think that with all those weapons in classrooms that those odds are going to go down?

Giving all teachers weapons is as extreme an idea on the right as the lefts solution to ban all weapons from everyone.

The solution is somewhere between those. A good start though is having cops in the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    I am just not convinced that arming all the teachers with a weapon is the answer. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the odds of this happening are incredible small. Does anyone think that with all those weapons in classrooms that those odds are going to go down?

Giving all teachers weapons is as extreme an idea on the right as the lefts solution to ban all weapons from everyone.

The solution is somewhere between those. A good start though is having cops in the schools.
    Like Tasers?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Sorry if this has been said because I did not read this whole thread.

But I have two proposals to this problem:

First I believe it could be required that at least 10-15% of the faculty at all schools should carry. And I can guarantee that at least that many will come forward willing to do so. But I don't believe that just obtaining a conceal carry Is enough. A special 2 week camp designed just for teachers with weapons training and emergency response training. You will have to renew this every year while school is out. And if you don't pass you don't carry! Along with a psychiatric assessment.

Second choice is there are thousands of veterans looking for jobs so give them one. Again psychiatric assessment would be required. But these wonderful people need some one to protect it's the way they where trained it's in there blood. Put at least 1 in each school. Government program should pays these soldiers. I know doesn't sound like much or we are in debt enough but i would gladly pay a new tax to fund such a program. The government has spent millions training these fine men and women to defend this country only to bring them back and say we don't need you any more. let's give these men and women someone to protect! And they could also be the ones running the previous mentioned 2 week camps.
    Last edited by Bryan Manning; 12-20-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Bryan Manning

Country Boy Retrievers
    HRCH BM's Crank It Up Daisy QAA "Daisy"
    Country Boys Locked n Loaded "Trigger"