Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons??

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    For you Stan,

From the Urban Dictionary:
    Secular Progressive 60 up, 95 down
    A term coined by FoxNews' Bill O'Reilly to describe liberals in a negative way as a means to perpetuate the conservative myth that all liberals are evil and want to destroy America as we know it.

A thinly veiled attempt to further divide our country in a time of national crisis in order to solidify the conservative base of "Traditionalists" as described by Mr. O'Reilly.

Cary, are you saying the term "McCarthyites" is not real? Or referring to them as "Boy Scouts" is a cliche? Sorry, don't get your argument there.

Somehow the murder of 20 children has become another lib vs con name-calling fest. I hate that. Our problems are so much deeper than gun legislation.
    I was referring to your condemnation of catch phrases and slogans. The pot calling the kettle black don't you think? As for the urban dictionary, given it's definition of Secular Progressive, I would have about as much faith in it as I would a German Arian dictionary, ZERO!! The myth would be that all conservatives believe that progressives want to destroy the country and that all progressives believe that conservatives are "mean spirited and want to kill old people and women". These phrases as well as your McCarthyite- Boy Scout slogan are catch phrases which in effect drives the wedge even deeper, something you so heartily object to. Hopefully, this makes my thoughts more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Stan; I object to your characterization of Democrats. I am proudly a Democrat and proudly a gun owner. I plan to keep those two facts true until the day I die!!

Wikipedia:

The political fault line here is not Dems /Repubs , or Lib/Cons. It is more urban/ rural.

Finally....someone else thinks that the gun issue is not a D vs R or Lib vs Con

for many including those of us here on the RTF, guns are part of our lifestyle and outdoor activities

for many including those on the RTF, their use for guns goes no further than needing one to shoot the flyer in the first series of the test/trial

I get that some on here dont think that "assault type weapons" are necessary in society, but it leads to a slippery slope when you start banning weapons
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Right. "Assault type weapons" are magazine fed semi autos. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Stan; I object to your characterization of Democrats. I am proudly a Democrat and proudly a gun owner. I plan to keep those two facts true until the day I die!!

Wikipedia:

Progressivism is a general political philosophy advocating or favoring gradual social, political, and economic reform. Modern Progressivism emerged as part of a more general response to the vast social changes brought by industrialization.

It is left of center in the political spectrum and is to be contrasted with conservatism on the right and the revolutionary left, the former generally resisting changes it advocates and the latter rejecting its gradualism.
    The political fault line here is not Dems /Repubs , or Lib/Cons. It is more urban/ rural.
    I have heard Obama describe himself as being a progressive.
    So has Bill Clinton.

I also know the difference between a Democrat and a progressive.
    I also include George Bush in the progressive movement.

I have used the term for some time.

Maybe O'Reilly got it from me.

Many of you KNOW I have used that term for years.
    Secular was added when your parties convention attendees booed God.

Progressives want your guns.
    And eventually (incrementally) they will get them.
    I just saw Nancy Pelosi on Andrea Mitchell's show saying we should outlaw all assault weapons immediately, for the children!!!
    Nancy Pelosi would be the reigning Queen of "incremental secular progresivism
    Last edited by road kill; 12-18-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

The worst school mass murder in the US did not involve firearms. In 1927 38 children plus several adults were murdered at an elementary school. The murderer blew up the school.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I was referring to your condemnation of catch phrases and slogans. The pot calling the kettle black don't you think? As for the urban dictionary, given it's definition of Secular Progressive, I would have about as much faith in it as I would a German Arian dictionary, ZERO!! The myth would be that all conservatives believe that progressives want to destroy the country and that all progressives believe that conservatives are "mean spirited and want to kill old people and women". These phrases as well as your McCarthyite- Boy Scout slogan are catch phrases which in effect drives the wedge even deeper, something you so heartily object to. Hopefully, this makes my thoughts more clear.
    I quoted the Urban Dictionary as it is the only one I could find with a definition. You guys did not accept or did not understand when I broke the term down and gave the def for its parts. As far as the bolded quotes, I certainly agree that they are the type of catch phrases and fear/hate mongering I despise. McCarthy used many such comments to further his own agenda. And I am sorry if you consider my use of Boy Scouts to represent what is good and decent too cliched.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I was responding to another question Buzz.
    I agree, I don't beleive we should ask teachers to be armed.
    If we are serious, we should look at the model of security at schools that has been successful.
    Who might that be??

Oh, yeah, the Israeli's.
    My youngest son mentioned that model of security this last week-end as a good one.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I quoted the Urban Dictionary as it is the only one I could find with a definition. You guys did not accept or did not understand when I broke the term down and gave the def for its parts. As far as the bolded quotes, I certainly agree that they are the type of catch phrases and fear/hate mongering I despise. McCarthy used many such comments to further his own agenda. And I am sorry if you consider my use of Boy Scouts to represent what is good and decent too cliched.
    So, there are no secular progressives and they have no agenda?
    Even though Obama and Bill Clinton have described themselves as such?

And the secular progressives don't play on any fear mongering. oh, say between races and classes?
    (I believe it was Joe Biden that mentioned "chains")
    Last edited by road kill; 12-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Versus you advocating we live in an unarmed camp????
    I recommend that our military be used as school guards ( with very high level screening before giving this job to anyone ). I think that you have brought up a very good point.

P.S. spelling again .....well actually not hitting keys hard enough.
    Last edited by charly_t; 12-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Progressives want your guns.
    And eventually (incrementally) they will get them.
    That like the corollary argument that all Republicans want to close out public hunting lands and drill any that's left. Both statements are gross exaggerations, Stan.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!