The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: The "REAL" Issue

Default The "REAL" Issue

Would anyone want to discuss the real issue at play with these folks having these breakdowns?

I will share my honest thought out opinion.
    Feel free to attck ME for sharing it.

Clinical & Manic Depression.

I beleive it is in epidemic proportions today due to the stresses we face in day to day life.
    We are bombarded with data, info and instant news 24/7.
    We no longer take time to sit on the porch and reflect and discuss each others lives.
    We no longer take a few minutes/hours to relax.

The pressure to go-go-go and compete is non stop.

The lack of physical activity contributes as well.

Staring at a screen (be it for work or gaming or searching) is a form of stress.
    TV & radio adds literaly YELL at us faster than we can even process.
    Video games that graphically enhance people getting their brains blown out!
    ( I have seen the games and real life gun shot wounds, the games are overboard)

And on and on..........it is very sad.

Maybe we can have fun discussing this, though I am sincere in my thoughts on this issue.
    Stan b & Elvis

Stan, There is no statistical information that gives a good picture of the mental state of those that commit these crimes. This is an excerpt from an NBC story this morning:
    What are the limitations on the data on gun ownership, gun usage and crime?
    A 2005 data review done by a panel of criminologists, statisticians, and epidemiologists for the National Research Council concluded that there is a lack of reliable data and “in some instances—firearms violence prevention, for example—there are no data at all.”

The NRC report said that “none of the existing data sources, by itself or in combination with others, provides comprehensive, timely, and accurate data needed to answer many important questions pertaining to the role of firearms in violent events.”

The panel reported that “even some of the most basic descriptive questions cannot be answered with existing data.” It cited such unanswered questions as:

• What proportion of suicide or homicide victims were under the care of a mental health professional? What proportion of those victims were intoxicated at the time of death?

• In what proportion of spouse or intimate-partner homicides committed with a gun does the offender take his own life or the lives of the victim’s children or protectors?

• Did the number of people shot with “assault weapons” change after Congress enacted the 1994 ban on certain types of such weapons?
    The whole story can be found at :
    http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...n-america?lite

It seems to me that there is a woeful lack of information and the country is likely to blindly fly into something without it. It seems to me that it would behoove the NRA to get cracking to help gather such data if they want to keep the second amendment alive. Right now they choose to hunker in the bunker.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 12-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Stan, There is no statistical information that gives a good picture of the mental state of those that commit these crimes. This is an excerpt from an NBC story this morning:

zeus
    It seems to me that there is a woeful lack of information and the country is likely to blindly fly into something without it. It seems to me that it would behoove the NRA to get cracking to help gather such data if they want to keep the second amendment alive. Right now they choose to hunker in the bunker.
    zeuss, I have no statistical data to back up my observation.
    It is merely that, an opinion.
    I do not have the training to diagnose these issues either.
    I have seen these problems pretty closely and I am basuically wondering out loud.

To me, clearly something is wrong inside these people.
    Stan b & Elvis

Parenting and education! Where did the but smacking go. Parents tend to blame teachers rather than their kids. What happend to geting an F once and awhile in school. No more dodge ball either. Kids dont know how to deal with failure, setbacks or with people face to face any more. just look at the amount of people that are on facebook instead of out doing anything, how many people text instead of dialing and saying hello or F-you. Not to mention humans have always been violent animals, will always be so too in one way or another.

I'm wondering if there may also be something environmental going on. We see all kinds of things now that didn't exist years ago. Peanut allergies. Never heard of that when I was a kid. Pretty rampant now. Same for autism. Asthma rates too.

When someone kills their mother and then slaughters innocent babies, there is something very wrong to the point of them being non-human. The "human wiring" that we all have (or should have) that prevents us from doing these things is broken far too often now. Something is changing in us as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

To me, clearly something is wrong inside these people.
    Stan I don't believe there is a simple solution to all of this. We can lay blame to an individual for not doing this or that OR doing too much of this or that. People are made up of both genetics and culture. That interface is handled well by most of us, but, creates conflict and anguish in others.

My guess is as good as the next guy's. I know this guy was a "failure to launch". In my years as a social worker I saw some pretty nasty stuff arise out of that. There is a perpetuation of adolescence as long as an adult child continues to live with a parent. I have seen a lot of anger and resentment directed at parents, usually a single parent, as the parent is often seen as a roadblock to the full attainment of adulthood. ( Usually, the father is absent.) The individual might see himself as a failure in life. Out of that despair that is often a lot of anger at self, maybe enough to snap and commit this kind of act.

If I weren't a septuagenarian, perhaps I could do a PhD on that subject.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 12-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post

It seems to me that there is a woeful lack of information and the country is likely to blindly fly into something without it.
    Probably a better source for information is the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI). Their site is http://www.nami.org/
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Maybe we ought to encourage NAMI and NRA to put their heads together on this one.
    Zeus

mental health issue is one of America's "dirty little secrets"...look back at how we looked at senility and old age just one generation ago, we laughed it off to grandpa just getting old , but more than likely what we now know as dementia and Alzheimers

Well now we have people with mental health issues, we have manic depressants, schizophenics,mutiple personality disorders...what do we do, we give them Prozac,Zyloft,Paxil and any other meds you want to list...and the sad fact is we dont find out these things till its too late...I know first hand, because my ex is one with those type of family history, fine as long as she was on her prozac but when she tried the timed release version she would be just a stressful incident away from going postal...did I know any of that info prior to meeting her, heck no...does she need to be incarcerated or institutionalized, of course not ...

Mental health issues in this country need to be addressed, not sure how..cant just lock everyone up..cant medicate our way out of the problem, certainly cant legislate our way out of it...but these shooters all seem to have one common bond,they arent playing with a perfectly functioning set of mental skills
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Would anyone want to discuss the real issue at play with these folks having these breakdowns?

I will share my honest thought out opinion.
    Feel free to attck ME for sharing it.

Clinical & Manic Depression.

I beleive it is in epidemic proportions today due to the stresses we face in day to day life.
    We are bombarded with data, info and instant news 24/7.
    We no longer take time to sit on the porch and reflect and discuss each others lives.
    We no longer take a few minutes/hours to relax.

The pressure to go-go-go and compete is non stop.

The lack of physical activity contributes as well.

Staring at a screen (be it for work or gaming or searching) is a form of stress.
    TV & radio adds literaly YELL at us faster than we can even process.
    Video games that graphically enhance people getting their brains blown out!
    ( I have seen the games and real life gun shot wounds, the games are overboard)

And on and on..........it is very sad.

Maybe we can have fun discussing this, though I am sincere in my thoughts on this issue.
    I think you have made valid points. I believe the first postal case was here in OK. A superviser was being a bully ( at least to one person ). When the case got the attention it deserved the bully was just transferred to another post office where he again did the same thing. We had a neighbor who lived not far from us back in the 1960s who worked for the post office in a town close by. His wife told me of the bad treatment he received at the post office where he worked. people pick on my retarded grandaughter a lot. Anyone that people see as weak gets picked on. It may just be a co-worker who is in a lower pay scale. Some of this is a bad problem. Of course it is not at all the biggest problem but it sure gets bad at times. Just one of the things that needs attention in the good old USA.
    Last edited by charly_t; 12-18-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~