The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A field dog and two newbies

Default A field dog and two newbies

I took two waterfowlers (5 yrs. experience) pheasant hunting. They had never done this before. Granted, a preserve hunt but a good one. One hundred acres, fallow fields and woods of an overgrown farm, and rolling hills made for a good days hunt which gave us all that feeling of tired at days end, but a good tired feeling. I loved the comments. "This is a great hunt". "I can't believe that the dog retrieved that one" (bird sailed maybe 80 yards after being lightly hit). "I'm taking my son pheasant hunting during his winter break".

I had the opportunity to educate them to this type of hunting: appropriate clothing, appropriate loads, shoot through trees, pheasant habits, cockbird flush vs. hen flush, etc.

Then the comment "I can't believe the shape your dog is in. She doesn't even look tired. Whatever we walked she did three times that. And she is well behaved." (Those on this forum who know my dog can laugh at that.) I welcomed the opportunity to tell them the difference between a working dog and a pet, and the training that goes into the dog. And I felt very satisfied that I think I got two new people interested in upland hunting.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    I took two waterfowlers (5 yrs. experience) pheasant hunting. They had never done this before. Granted, a preserve hunt but a good one. One hundred acres, fallow fields and woods of an overgrown farm, and rolling hills made for a good days hunt which gave us all that feeling of tired at days end, but a good tired feeling. I loved the comments. "This is a great hunt". "I can't believe that the dog retrieved that one" (bird sailed maybe 80 yards after being lightly hit). "I'm taking my son pheasant hunting during his winter break".

I had the opportunity to educate them to this type of hunting: appropriate clothing, appropriate loads, shoot through trees, pheasant habits, cockbird flush vs. hen flush, etc.

Then the comment "I can't believe the shape your dog is in. She doesn't even look tired. Whatever we walked she did three times that. And she is well behaved." (Those on this forum who know my dog can laugh at that.) I welcomed the opportunity to tell them the difference between a working dog and a pet, and the training that goes into the dog. And I felt very satisfied that I think I got two new people interested in upland hunting.
    Who? Anyone I know??

Great job!

Thanks for sharing!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry and Freya View Post
    Who? Anyone I know??
    Two people from South Shore Waterfowlers Association.

We did get five more birds later that day. The weather held up and if our shooting was a little better, we would have had four more birds. I have an excuse called tendonitis.

Wish I had an excuse for my bad aim!!

What a neat deed you did, George. As someone who never had a hunting mentor, just a gun safety class, I can tell you how valuable it is when a knowledgable hunter gives me advice and shows me the tricks. It is appreciated!!

Nicely done!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Nicely done!
    I do anything that I can to introduce people to the different outdoor activities. Besides teaching Hunter Safety and Waterfowl ID I enjoy watching other people having a good time while learning something new.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Two people from South Shore Waterfowlers Association.
    Very nice pic.
    And no, I do not know them.