The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: the other "Real Issue"

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,879

    Default the other "Real Issue"

    So how do we move towards making our schools safe?

    I think we all recognize that with enough resources at their disposal an evil person will always be able to wreak havoc on society, but how do we stop the kind of nut that so recently killed so many in such a short time?

    Here are some of my ideas, But I admit they are expensive;

    bullet proof glass on all windows and doors, including interior fire doors.

    doors sheathed with and locks made of armor grade steel.

    once school is in session, ingress and egress thru a bomb proof room only, with the inner and outer doors on an interlock system. ( IF ONE IS OPEN, THE OTHER IS LOCKED) This room would be managed by an armed security guard in body armor. He or she buzzes you in, locks the outer door, orders "hands on the wall, spread your legs". once that is complied with, he enters the room and the door locks behind him. if it is determined that you are not a threat, you are permitted to enter.

    In short, make them a fortress.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,849

    Default

    I dont think we even have to that far.....When I was in HS we had a closed campus, students were not allowed to come and go without a pass, Nowadays its way too easy to get on many campuses...the quicker and more cost effective fix might be to have a police officer on duty at a school during school hours, not some mall cop with a security uniform, wearing a walkie talkie and carrying a can of mace

    We waste so much money on specialists for every dept in our schools ( I know because my son's mother used to be one) but we spend virtually nothing on school security, maybe we dont need 3 assistant principals,2 reading specialists,2 bilingual specialists, and a special education teacher...thats 8 staff salaries that could be redistributed into two full time officers
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  3. #3
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    So how do we move towards making our schools safe?

    I think we all recognize that with enough resources at their disposal an evil person will always be able to wreak havoc on society, but how do we stop the kind of nut that so recently killed so many in such a short time?

    Here are some of my ideas, But I admit they are expensive;

    bullet proof glass on all windows and doors, including interior fire doors.

    doors sheathed with and locks made of armor grade steel.

    once school is in session, ingress and egress thru a bomb proof room only, with the inner and outer doors on an interlock system. ( IF ONE IS OPEN, THE OTHER IS LOCKED) This room would be managed by an armed security guard in body armor. He or she buzzes you in, locks the outer door, orders "hands on the wall, spread your legs". once that is complied with, he enters the room and the door locks behind him. if it is determined that you are not a threat, you are permitted to enter.

    In short, make them a fortress.-Paul
    NOw the building may be a fortess against a gunman but you just created a new issue. It has also become so secure that it would be very hard for firefighters to get in should a major fire breakout in the building. No easy way for even people on the inside to break out windows for air or escape. Just saying.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  4. #4
    Senior Member gmhr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    3,738

    Default

    My daughter has a security staff plus an armed city policeman that is on their campus.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

  5. #5
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    I just drove past an elementary school on my way to lunch. A couple hundred kids out playing in the schoolyard, all around the age of those massacred last week.

    So, do we keep those kids indoors from now on?

    I HATE the idea of making schools into fortresses. It's terrible for kids to have to grow up in such an atmosphere of fear and distrust.

    If you look at what has happened to mental health in my lifetime you would see institutions closed down. You cannot force them to stay on medications. Homeless shelters full of them. Families having to figure out on their own what to do with them and how to deal with them.

    I know the drill. I have a sister who is diagnosed with manic depression. She is good when she is on her medication. Good luck keeping her on it. The law and mental health is as useless as tits on a boar.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  6. #6
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I just drove past an elementary school on my way to lunch. A couple hundred kids out playing in the schoolyard, all around the age of those massacred last week.

    So, do we keep those kids indoors from now on?

    I HATE the idea of making schools into fortresses. It's terrible for kids to have to grow up in such an atmosphere of fear and distrust.

    If you look at what has happened to mental health in my lifetime you would see institutions closed down. You cannot force them to stay on medications. Homeless shelters full of them. Families having to figure out on their own what to do with them and how to deal with them.

    I know the drill. I have a sister who is diagnosed with manic depression. She is good when she is on her medication. Good luck keeping her on it. The law and mental health is as useless as tits on a boar.
    DITTO Buzz.
    In my thread "The Real Issue" we are discussing clinical and manic depression.

    Tough issue.
    zeuss has some good insight, I would be curious as to yours.
    Last edited by road kill; 12-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  7. #7
    Senior Member TCFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Why don't we put a couple of guns in a locked safe and teach the teachers and staff how to properly use them.

    Only one of these public shootings has happened in a place that was not a "Gun Free Zone" that was the shooting of Gabby Giffords.

    The Aurora shooter had half a dozen theaters within 20 minutes of his house to choose from. He ended up at the only one that is a gun free zone.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ings-john-fund

  8. #8
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I just drove past an elementary school on my way to lunch. A couple hundred kids out playing in the schoolyard, all around the age of those massacred last week.

    So, do we keep those kids indoors from now on?

    I HATE the idea of making schools into fortresses. It's terrible for kids to have to grow up in such an atmosphere of fear and distrust.

    If you look at what has happened to mental health in my lifetime you would see institutions closed down. You cannot force them to stay on medications. Homeless shelters full of them. Families having to figure out on their own what to do with them and how to deal with them.

    I know the drill. I have a sister who is diagnosed with manic depression. She is good when she is on her medication. Good luck keeping her on it. The law and mental health is as useless as tits on a boar.
    What would everyone be talking about had that murderer driven his mothers car into the schoolyard full of children killing 27 kids and teachers? All they would be talking about is how this poor kid fells through the cracks in the system.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  9. #9
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Here's another thing. Why does everyone keep saying the guns he used in this crime were legally purchased?
    They were stolen. He stole the from his mother. He did not purchase them legally.
    Would the converation even be the same if this was kids outside during recess in the inner city caught in the crossfire of a gang war?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  10. #10
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post
    Why don't we put a couple of guns in a locked safe and teach the teachers and staff how to properly use them.

    Only one of these public shootings has happened in a place that was not a "Gun Free Zone" that was the shooting of Gabby Giffords.

    The Aurora shooter had half a dozen theaters within 20 minutes of his house to choose from. He ended up at the only one that is a gun free zone.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ings-john-fund
    If the Newtown school had guns in a locked safe, they would still be sitting there nice and safe. It happened too quick. The guns need to be readily available... As in on your person...
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •